Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Big Bang Theory





There are times when I find a show that totally was off my television radar. This shouldn't be happening since I am the master of all relevant entertainment mediums (thought I do have the help of my Lisa Mynx to clue me in). However, when I find a deficiency there is nothing more satisfying than filling that gap with a marathon session of episodes that come at the speed of bit torrent and totally immerse me in the characters and situations. This week has been the week for THE BIG BANG THEORY. Its a sitcom about 4 ubergeeks who work as physicists and engineers and while being totally knowledgeable about science and geek culture, have no ability whatsoever to interact socially in the world around them. Of course across the hall from two of them would have to move a beautiful and sweet waitress/wannabee actress who is the dream girl for one of the roommates (Leonard, played by Johnny Galecki) but has no frame of reference for interacting in their world or Star Trek lore and superhero minutia. They likewise have nothing in common with her but she loves them and is their link to discovering the larger world around them. "Leonard and Sheldon's geekiness and intellect are contrasted with Penny's social skills and common sense for comedic effect." (Wikipedia) Played by Kaley Cuoco, Penny is every guys dream girl who doesn't take crap from snooty, know-all-braniac Sheldon (Leonard's roommate) who has more quirks and issues than any one man can stand. They would kill him if he had even a clue that there was a world that existed outside of the arrogant self centered planet that he calls home. Played by Jim Parsons, he is Emmy Bait and gets all the great lines. When you exasperate your three geeky best friends you can't say anything else but "Its me right?" and yes, most of the time it is. Its a terrific performance that reminds one of the brilliance that the character of Kramer brought to Seinfeld. Only where Kramer was weird but dumb, Sheldon is weird but smart. Its an intelligent comedy that doesn't dumb down the dialog between these brilliant guys but instead makes fun of how stupid all of it sounds to the rest of us - though I do have to admit that I get every joke. Honest. I do so! I didn't mean to leave out the other two members of the cast. Simon Helberg plays Howard Wolowitz, M.Eng. He is the geeky Jewish kid and resident horndog who can't strike out enough with the girls. He lives with his Jewish mother who is only heard as an off camera screeching voice. Its a nice bit of business to hear them interact with each other. Finally we have Kunal Nayyar as Rajesh Koothrappali, Ph.D. He originally came from India and has the inability to talk to girls including Penny unless he is drunk. Its a funny bit. We have met Raj's parents but only on the laptop he carries around with him. Both Raj and Howard bring the humor of their ethnic upbringing to full comedic effect. Having been immersed in this show for the past three days I can say I have yet to tire of the goofy situations these guys and gal get themselves into. I can imagine that when this show goes into daily syndication (and it will) that it will be discovered by a whole new audience who will fall in love with the various ways these really book smart guys struggle there way through a world that in a lot of ways has more street smarts than they will ever acquire. (Oh and I particularly love the episode where they get the ACTUAL Time Machine from the movie starring Rod Taylor - my dream piece of furniture)





5 comments:

Wings1295 said...

It is a really great show. We love it and can't wait for the new season to start!

And sometimes, some of Sheldon's quirks remind me too much of my own. Scary at times.

The League said...

I actually know Jim "Sheldon" Parsons a bit. We went to high school together for a year, and I wound up being pals with his sister. Our moms still spend quality time together, so I get a lot of third-hand reports.

Jim is/ was a great guy, and after years of working hard, its amazing to see him make it, and create one of those characters that becomes an icon.

Its been a few years since I've seen him, but I am now forced to watch the Emmy's this year and hope he takes one home.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I watched the Space Toilet episode last night. Fav Sheldon line (paraphrasing)

"I thought the toilet humour would get less funny with repetition, but it isn't. Apparently there is no law of diminishing return for space poop."

I have series two on order, and mayhaps it will arrive soon. I can watch these over and over.

Darius Whiteplume said...

BTW, thanks for the giant image. I never realized those were their notes smeared across her... I am truly in love now ;-) (just kidding Arden)

Sabrina said...

I love this show!!!

I've passed it around to a few other friends and they've fallen in love with it too.