Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Yeh, Its That Time Again

I have several friends that I have lost touch with over the years due mainly to my own actions. I hate that this time of year reminds me of them so strongly. I had a great buddy named Lance who went onto become an optometrist. We used to spend our summers cruising around town all night listening to music while we made up stories for the great novels we would write one day. He was the kind of guy who laughed at the same things that I did and we took great joy often in doing our 'act' in front of others much to the consternation of my other friend Adam. His fussy ways and perfect hair were such easy targets sometimes.

One of my favorite memories of Lance was during first semester exams at Red Deer College. He taught me the entire human circulatory system in one evening while we mainlined Jolt Cola and swallowed a ton of 'wake up' caffeine pills. During a moment of quiet he suddenly jumps up on the table in the room we were studying in and goes into a perfect rendition of this song from "Fiddler on the Roof" like he was suddenly possessed by the spirit of a long dead Rabbi. I joined him on the table and we performed that song like we were on Broadway ourselves. After that, all I needed to do was hum the first few bars and we could break into song at anyplace and anytime.

<

1 comment:

Wings1295 said...

Good memories, Cal. Thanks for sharing!