Friday, February 12, 2010

JLA - Crisis On Two Earths



"There is the difference between you and me. We both looked into the Abyss. But when it looked back at us...you BLINKED!"

When I was a kid those 80 cent or 1 dollar reprint comic treasuries were amoung my favorite things. It was the only way to catch up on all those goofy Silver Age moments and history. DC was always very selective to only pick the weirdest examples to re-hilight.

One time I remember that I was introduced to the Crime Syndicate. From the cover, they looked like more silly alternate versions of the Justice League. No different from 'Batman From Mars' or 'Superman With An Apple For A Head' Inside, however, I got my first lesson in never judging a book by it's cover.


These new guys may have looked like my beloved Justice League but they were NOT them. Why were they doing BAD things? Why was Luthor the HERO? Why was I drinking this milk that had obviously spoiled and is now giving me hallucinations?

Ultraman, Powergirl, Johnny Quick, Power Ring and the Owlman gave our Earth's Justice League the most trouble I had ever seen. They couldn't be reasoned and had all same powers and tricks that our team did. NO FAIR. I hated them. But I loved what they brought out in my Justice League. They made them truly a 'team' in ways that was sometimes less than clear in the Justice League monthly comic.

To defeat the Crime Syndicate required planning, guil, and near perfect execution of a plan but even then there was no gaurentee of success. It was all a crap shot till the very end. The Crime Syndicate scared me, exhausted me and exhilerated me.


So to watch this new animated feature (BRAVO DC for matching Marvel and often surpassing them in animated film greatness) I felt for the first time that the movie experience eclipsed the comic reading experience. I know that sounds like blasphemy but I wanted/needed to advance this DVD much like you tear through the pages of a comic book to see how it will end. Only here I couldn't do that so I had to sit on my hands, try to breath and be patient. It killed me. I loved it.

All you need to know is that 'good' Luthor comes to our world to recruit our Justice League to save his world. They go. They face the Crime Syndicate. Awesomeness and much peeing in pants ensues.

The only quibble I have with this feature is the voice they use for Batman. I am so used to Kevin Conroy being my Batman voice of animation that whomever played Batman here sounded weird. I feel like he was trying more to imitate than to truly own the voice and that was distracting. However, the voice of Owlman was James Woods and he nailed it in ways that sent shivers down my spine. He was such a nialist bastard.

Again I find myself wishing to have someone, anyone to watch this with me who actually GETS the coolness of these moments. They are becoming more rare as I grow older but so much sweeter. The rewards of a lifetime of fanboy devotion. Thank you you magnificent corporate bastards for continueing to feed my soul with this fantastic stuff but don't get any idea that I like you or anything.

7 comments:

TS Hendrik said...

You're right, that sounds like blasphemy.

Mike said...

I am so with you on this. My only forbearance is that I hope my kids can watch it. For some reason they keep putting these out with adults in mind, with sexual innuendo and a bit of the old ultraviolance. The Green Lantern one just barely was ok for my kids, although the repeated drug attack was pretty iffy.

I became a DC junkie when Marvel got taken over by Toy Biz and immediately went in the toilet. JLA:Earth 2 was a great storyline, and was really well written, despite my hating Gramnt Morrison. I love the relationship between the evil Suprwoman, Owlman and Ultaman.

Hopefully they play out as cool in the movie as they do in the books.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I thought so. Lots of fighting and a real defeatest attitude but it moves fast.

Miss Alex said...

I don't know this show but i LOVE your new page :)

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Well, you are the one I do it all for, baby.

Sam G said...

The Batman in this animated feature is played by William Baldwin. I'm with you though. Kevin Conroy will always be Batman to me. Whenever I read a Batman comic...it's Conroy's voice that I hear.

joe ackerman said...

I get you. I'm pretty much sick and tired of having to watch these things on my own. the missus does her best, bless her, but she don't understand my chuckling away whenever the Warriors Three turned up on screen during Hulk vs. Thor, or my getting all excited at the sight of the Blackhawks going into battle in New Frontier.

oh! the loneliness of the geek!

still, I'm looking forward to this. DC have done good work so far with the animated stuff.