Friday, February 12, 2010

Ramona & Beezus


Does anyone remember the Canadian show RAMONA? A very young Sarah Polley played the most precocious little girl since Raven Simone on Cosby. She was always getting into some trouble or another as she navigated that scary place between toddler and teen while being a constant 'pest' to her older sister, Beezus (WTF kind of name is that?). Thanks to Samurai Frog for reminding me that 'Beezus' was just a nickname for her sister Beatrice that came about when a very young Ramona (or Pamona)as we always called her, mispronounced her her sister's first name.

It was always entertaining because of the charm of Polley and the theme of family. I know what it's like to have a sister that is annoying. Only mine was only 15 months younger than me so we fought to the death on an even footing all our lives.

A littler sister I would have enjoyed having. My sister never had her 'I love my older sibling moments' She came out of the womb swinging and twice tried to kill be before she was five. (pushed me off the couch into the radiator at 1 and pushed me into the rose bushes at 4) I was like a lemur in the trees constantly on the look out for predators.

If the poster says anything this could be a cute movie - 'pain in the ass moments' coupled with some sisterly bonding by the end. I got no beef with this and its a very cool choice for my beloved Selena to make. Not a lot of girl-friendly movies out there, especially for little girls who really don't travel with pants anyways (see what I did there?) It also looks like a great vehicle for Selena to continue her slow transition to bigger and bigger parts.

http://samuraifrog.tumblr.com/

10 comments:

Robin said...

I had no idea that Ramona was a TV show...but I did read every single book about her while in elementary school :)

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Look for it...you will love it. We used to call it 'Pamona' for some reason. How witty we were.

SamuraiFrog said...

I think they used to show Ramona on PBS here; I remember when my all time favorite movie, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, first hit cable in 1990. The first time I ever saw it, my sister Jayne was telling me about how the girl in it (Polley) was on Avonlea and was also Ramona, both shows I never watched myself. Avonlea was on the Disney Channel, but I think Ramona was on PBS.

I didn't see Ramona with Sarah Polley until a few years ago, when I watched some of it with a class of 3rd graders I was subbing with. It was a charming show. I've never read anything by Beverly Cleary in my life, but I thought the show was fun. I think I remember reading that "Beezus" was a very young Ramona's mispronunciation of Beatrice?

I'm really looking forward to Selena's movie. She's been talking it up for a while now, and I've seen a bunch of behind the scenes pictures of her and Joey King, and it seems like she really had fun making it. It's a great vehicle for Selena, and I have to say, I'm pretty excited about it.

TS Hendrik said...

You're a Raven supporter? I'm really not sure what to think anymore.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

A young 'Raven on Cosby' supporter. It's important to be specific here. For a man that always worked with kids, she was more than his match on that show. Jellow shots would have never distracted her.

DrGoat said...

Cal, Lets hope the American system of celebrity doesn't wreak havoc on her soul, like it has so many other young stars

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Not my Selena...she is about the most put together young woman to come out of the Disney ranks in a long time. She's no Miley and she is patient to do things right and learn the lessons of Lindsey. Trust me. She will get such a slap if I have to go there to look after her.

Nathan said...

I vaguely remember the TV show, and I read a few of the books as well.

Fun Fact: Ramona and Beezus' surname, Quimby, comes from Quimby Street in Portland, Oregon. This is also the namesake for Mayor Diamond Joe Quimby on The Simpsons.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Since I saw that factoid about street names on the Simpsons 20 yr special I can't got to Portland. Can you imagine how many accidents will come from people who never noticed that before, crashing their cars as they look for it everytime now.

Nathan said...

I was in Portland a few months ago to visit a friend, and we did see some of the streets that the characters were named for. I think I was the only one who really cared, but this was before the documentary. I already knew about the streets, though.