Tuesday, April 13, 2010

30 Day Challenge II - Day 11 and 12 - Recent Pictures Of Me And Where My Family Is From


Here is a recent picture of me taken at the Ponds. I can take NO sun as you can see.

Comes from that dark middle European Ukrainian heritage. We probably came from somewhere where vampires and werewolves stalked the land - I know this because I got the taste for silver in my veins. I just KNOW when those demons are sniffin' about.

My Grandfather on my mom's side came to Canada from Poland and farmed some fine swampland in between Vita and Sundown Manitoba - the two smallest towns EVER. However, just over the road there grew the biggest blueberries you had ever seen. Big as a baby's head to hear my Baba tell the tale.

My mother and her siblings actually went to one of those one room schoolhouses you hear about in Gothic fairy tales. And they walked two miles in the snow, everyday, both ways uphill, without shoes.

My Dad's parents came from the east coast of Canada where they had been lobster fishermen for generations. My paternal Grandfather was an engineer on the CPR through the B.C. Rockies. He would shoot at the naked Ducabours who would often try to blow up the train tracks.

If you don't know, the Ducabours were a weird Russian cult who liked to blow stuff up while naked. No kidding. They regularly burned their homes and clothing and were polygamous. So naked, ugly women who smelled of smoke hanging around a naked guy with a stick of dynamite - and I am not making a reference to sex - he had an actual stick of dynamite but nothing else because he had burned it all.

In my family you would call someone a Ducabour if you were putting them down. Like calling someone a dirty Uzbeck who you also never give matches to because they like to start fires. Ah tis a proud tradition I comes from.

6 comments:

Wings1295 said...

Okay, well that was a lot of information!

I promise not to call you a Ducabour!

Anonymous said...

What a great history! My family history is colourful too, to say the least. :)

I loved this. :)

Cora said...

I always like it when you post pictures. You always look so perfectly cuddly!! :-)

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Awwww..thanks...cuddly as a pillow case full of cheese doodles.

Ravyn said...

Nice picture and nice background. You really don't get sunshine...huh.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

That is why they call it a CAVE.