Friday, September 10, 2010

People And Their Cats


"Yuri Valentinovich Knorozov. He played a key role in deciphering Mayan script. He conducted his Mayan research in near total academic isolation behind the Iron Curtain. I first found out about him, and this awesome photograph, from PBS’ “Nova: Cracking the Maya Code” It’s available on Netflix’s Watch Instantly, BTW. So was this incredibly stern-looking man way into cats, or what? Apparently so. Dmitri Minaev writes:

“In 1973, he published an article “On the questions of the classification of signal systems” and insisted that it was co-authored by his cat, Asya (full name is Aspid, Russian for “asp”) and her kitten, Fat Kys. He was a great cat lover and sometimes even confused his interlocutors by expressing his emotions with mewing."

3 comments:

csmith2884 said...

All that guy needs is a monocle and a secret underground... sorry forgot who I was talking to. Cal your monocle is hip..no really I like it. Dogs rule!!

Kal said...

Damn skippy it's hip. And I don't want to here you saying anything different behind my back or it's into the lava pit with you. Just because Bond easily escaped the pit on several occasions don't think you will. We have made several improvements like removing the handrails. So know that I am watching you, buddy, and your attitude.

csmith2884 said...

Lol the love of my life read these comments tonight, "I'm glad you have your little geeky friends to talk this stuff with, I didn't understand any of that." She is a great woman but has zero pop culture or movie knowledge.