Thursday, September 30, 2010

Happy 60th Anniversary


Early this week I read about 'comfort movies' - movies that people return to over and over again. I have some of those but mostly I have comfort cartoons. 'Yogi Bear', 'Huckleberry Hound, Bird Man - virtually all of the Hanna/Barbara collection.

When I watch them I feel better about the world and my place in it. But my favorite of them all are "The Flintstones". Coming home for lunch as a kid you had time for 'The Flintstones', then a 'Yogi Bear' cartoon before you had to get back to school.

I was lucky enough to have a buddy who lived near the college I attended for my first two years in the faculty of education. His folks worked at a chicken stand at the mall so there was aways great chicken and chips to gorge ourselves on while watching the 'Flintstones' which never let you down in terms of wacky entertainment. That was a good two years worth of lunches. Thank you Flintstones and all the great cartoons of my youth.

5 comments:

M. D. Jackson said...

They've always been my favourite modern stone-age family.

Cheeseboy said...

I loved how the Flinstones smoked cigarettes. Made them more homely.

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Ah, I was hoping someone would do a post on the Flintstone's Anniversary! Good going, Cal. (Is it their 50th or their 60th?) Regardless, I loved them. They taught me everything I know about driving, bowling, and so much more.
xoRobyn

DrGoat said...

I was 10 yrs old when the show first came on and we watched it religiously along with Warner bros and Rocky and Bullwinkle and Tennesee Tuxedo of course.

Nathan said...

I've actually come across a few mentions recently of people not liking the Flintstones, which seems a little weird to me. I always liked the show, but then, I started watching it (in reruns, of course) when I was only three or four.