Friday, September 17, 2010

I LIKE This Casting Choice



When I was growing up Queen was my favorite group. They brought it all - fantastic songs with great writing and a truly original sound unlike any of their contemporaries. I have talked about them many times before but will summarize my arguments for their greatness from my own experience.

*I traded six months of dishes with my sister just so I could get 'Night at the Opera' and 'Day at the Races' albums at the same time. (we got to buy a new record every two weeks)

*At cadet camp one summer we all awoke to the Muslim call to prayer at the beginning of the song 'Mustafa' off 'Jazz'. It starts slowly then pounds out a rockin' beat that go you moving to dress and be on the parade square as the song was ending.

*Brian May's homemade guitar sound - absolutely unique.

*Freddy's voice - greatest in the rock era in my opinion.

*First music video I ever saw was on the 'Midnight Special' and was a camera effects-laden mini-movie to 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. This was the late seventies when anything resembling the videos we would see in the 80s was rare. You usually only saw the band playing the song on stage - often lip synced.

*George Michaels at the Freddy Mercury AIDS tribute concert at Wembly Stadium - the power of their songs survive (still gives me chills)



*Both he and Roy Orbison taught me how to sing just by listening to them and imitating what I heard.

*An amazingly influencial rock band who deserves to have their story told.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/2010/09/17/2010-09-17_sacha_baron_cohen_inks_deal_to_play_queen_singer_freddie_mercury.html

2 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

It's an interesting choice...I just hope it's not a clusterfuck.

Kal said...

Well Sasha knews that I will find him for his brutal death.