Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The A-Z Blogging Challenge - The Letter F - Firefly And The Flintstones


This post in dedicated to Brother Wings who has recently discovered the joy that is 'Firefly'. He was like I was last year. I had no idea how great this show was even after being told the same from everyone else. I took a chance. It was only 14 episodes, how could it hurt?


There comes a point in everyone's 'Firefly' experience where they go from liking the show to LOVING it. The characters and situations mesh so perfectly and you care how this awesome ragtag crew will get out of the latest fix they have found themselves in or created for themselves. You will fall in love with their ship (which is a separate character on it's own that I still think looks like a horsey wearing a saddle).


If you haven't watched it or turn your nose up at it then how can you in good conscious call yourself a geek. This is as important a touchstone as 'Star Wars' or 'Star Trek'.


Don't be like this girl and lose the love of a good man.



http://www.heropress.net/

This Flintstones was one of my favorite cartoons growing up and it still is. In college I had a friend whose parents ran a chicken shack so there was always leftover chicken the next day for us all to snarf down. Nothing better than chicken and Flintstones.

The following episode was my all time favorite. Fred and Barney take the girls to the woods to hunt the Snorkasaurus who turns out to be Dino who actually talks for this one episode. I love Dinos voice and the snarky way he calls Fred and Barney 'poachers'.

14 comments:

Mike D. said...

Firefly is one of the most under rated and under appreciated shows of all time. How the Jersey Shore is going on Season 4 and this got cancelled after 1 seasons... grrrr

Wings1295 said...

I don't even want to think about all the VH1, MTV and assorted reality dreck that has survived while something really good like "Firefly" died a premature death.

And I loved the Flinstones, too! Although in reruns. hahaha

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I loved the Flintstones when I was a kid too. Yabba-dabba-doo!

Ella said...

I have wanted to see this and YOU have convinced me~ Thank you and I love the Flintstones!

Sez said...

I don't understand why FF was cancelled. You can tell Joss was only getting warmed up. He'd only done a couple of origin episodes, barely begun character development and only touched on the Reavers. Watching Serenity made me wish it had taken four or six series for everything to be revealed. I bet there was a lot more to it as well. I love Firefly more than any other TV show, and it makes me melancholy to read this post. :-(

TS Hendrik said...

I love both Firefly and The Flintstones. Great choice for F Kal.

Kal said...

I have come around on my thinking about 'Firefly'. At first I was upset that some stupid network didn't see the potential and cancelled it so soon. Then I enjoyed the fact that if you look at it like a miniseries (with the movie Serenity included) then its a pretty satisfying series in the British TV vein. No one can screw it up anymore. It's perfect the way it is. And it's easy to go back and enjoy the whole miniseries all over again whenever we want. So many classic moments and lines. Plus if it would have gone five years we may not have had Castle and I would never have wished that on Nathan Fillion. He has the perfect series for him after all his failed series in the past. The universe unfolds as it should.

"I'll be in my bunk."

DrGoat said...

Firefly is one of the most enjoyable shows ever. I actually was lucky enough to stumble upon it when it was first aired. Picked up the dvd a couple of yrs ago. When I want to have a relaxing Saturday at home, I put it on and kick back.
I was more a Rocky and Bullwinkle fan, but every kid, including me watched the Flintstones back then. A treasured part of my growing up. Still love it.

Kal said...

Flinstones is just such a complete little world with great characters and pop culture references that made it 'The Simpsons' of its day. The relationships are so great too. The way Wilma gets on Fred without screaming at him for his foolishness really is like the way Marge deals with Homer. I just wish Homer was smart enough to say "Droll Marge, very droll."

csmith2884 said...

OM(insert deity here). Love that song adding that to my lawn mowing mp3 mix. My girl is so wonderful in so many ways, but doesn't always get my geeky side.
How long did you try to decide on one or the other Firefly/Flintstones before deciding to do both?
"I want to go to the crappy town where I'm a hero"

Kal said...

I had my 'Firefly' post done up to reply to Wing's post about the show. Then I came across that great Flintstone cartoon and decided to combine the two.

Belle said...

My sister introduced me to Firefly when I went to visit her in Nevada. I bought the series and showed it to my husband who also fell in love with it. It was pure genius if you ask me.

MOCK! said...

I think it is kinda sad that most people will soon only know The Flinstones as characters that sell cereal....and will have no concept of the "history" behind them.

And I STILL need to see Firefly...I like the idea of viewing it like a British TV show...

Kal said...

Come back and tell me what you think of 'Firefly' when you watch it MOCK. I think you will be surprised at how much it gets under your skin and how much you will love it.