Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Quote Of The Day - Atheism


“As an atheist, I see nothing “wrong” in believing in a god. I don’t think there is a god, but belief in him does no harm. If it helps you in any way, then that’s fine with me. It’s when belief starts infringing on other people’s rights when it worries me. I would never deny your right to believe in a god. I would just rather you didn’t kill people who believe in a different god, say. Or stone someone to death because your rulebook says their sexuality is immoral. It’s strange that anyone who believes that an all-powerful all-knowing, omniscient power responsible for everything that happens, would also want to judge and punish people for what they are.”

— Ricky Gervais: “Why I’m an Atheist”

5 comments:

Tim Knight said...

Genius. I'm not the great fan of Gervais that I used to be, but he nails my own personal thoughts in such a crystal clear way here that I have to salute the man!

Tempo said...

Such a good way to put it...

Wings1295 said...

He is spot on with a lot of what he says, even if he can be a bit over-abrasive sometimes. But hey, we need someone like him around to keep things interesting.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Ricky Gervais is a smart and articulate man.

DrGoat said...

Right on the money. He gets a bit crazy, but he is an intelligent human.