Friday, July 22, 2011

Just Because You Didn't Ask - My Favorite Painter


Self-Portrait
Rembrandt

Painted when Rembrandt was 54, it has been noted as a work in which may be seen the worried expression and troubled condition of his mind. This work shows Rembrandt at his best. The hat, a rich black, and the background, a warm green, are smoothly painted. The shadows in the face are thin, warm, and transparent, while the lighter parts, as on the cheek, are laid on with a well-loaded brush, suggesting the texture of the flesh and made to glow with color.


And of course my favorite of the master's works - The Night Watch (1642). I have been as close as those ropes to this piece. I was in the Netherlands at the time when this paiting was slashed. That's all I can say at this time.

"The work was attacked with a bread knife by an unemployed school teacher, Wilhelmus de Rijk, in 1975, resulting in a large zig-zag of slashes. It was successfully restored but some evidence of the damage is still observable close-up. De Rijk committed suicide in April 1976."




http://www.spartacusartgallery.com/

2 comments:

DEZMOND said...

my favourite painer is Lawrence Alma Tadema, but Rembrandt is high on my list too! Very high actually! Love all the mysteries that hide behind THE NIGHT GUARD painting.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Rembrandt rocks, no doubt about it.