Saturday, July 2, 2011

Phoenix Arizona Reaches Temperature Of 118 F


That is just insane. How do humans live in such an environment? I was once in a 105 degrees Fahrenheit day in the hell hole that is Trail, British Columbia and when we left the air conditioned store I passed out once we reached the hot parking lot. I was only 7 at the time and the temperature variation was too extreme for me to handle.

I was a human barometer in those days. My mother could always tell I was going to get crazy once the heat and humidity rose. She even joked at times that she could tell when it was going to rain because I would finally stop whining about the heat. Most times that meant the cooling rains were about to arrive.

Like then, my system doesn't react to extreme heat the same way it does to extreme cold. I thrive in the cold and dark and was once in -70 below zero weather up on Baffin Island in the Canadian North. It felt like being on another planet especially when I walked to the store in my military cold weather gear (I needed cottage cheese for my salad - salad without cottage cheese is just not done). I was practically an astronaut complete with clear face shield.

Warming up in the cold is so much easier than cooling down in the heat. Ask any Polar Bear you may see at the zoo this summer. They will set you straight pretty quick.

7 comments:

Belle said...

I'm the opposite, I can't stand to be cold. I think I am like that because I grew up in California where it would sometimes get up to 105 F. I got used to it.

Tempo said...

We get more heat than that... no often you understand but now and then we ge over 50C (122)
Your top of 105 we get every summer... thats why we Aussies are quite mad!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I bet that cottage cheese cost you an arm and a leg way up there!

Kal said...

Yeh but it was worth it. Plus they paid you Northersn Allowance on top of your pay up there that evened things out.

Kelly Sedinger said...

To me, the mystery of places like Phoenix, AZ is not so much how people can live in such heat, but how they can justify the incredible water waste to maintain green lawns. Seriously, that's a big issue out there. And it's f***ing insane.

Kal said...

I agree. The people who do desert landscaping or paint their lawns green are the ones that I admire.

Kal said...

I agree. The people who do desert landscaping or paint their lawns green are the ones that I admire.