Thursday, October 6, 2011

Captain Scarlet By Ron Embleton






As a kid living in Europe I watched very little English language television because it just wasn't available in Germany in the early 70s. One show I did watch despite never fully understanding what was going on was 'Captain Scarlet'.

This program was one of the classics created by Gerry Anderson. It's another of his puppet adventures shows and I think his best. Each of the good guys wears a different color vest and the bad guys are mysterious - so mysterious in fact that they are called THE MYSTERONS.



At the end of each episode, covering the closing credits, they displayed these terrific illustrations of Captain Scarlet in numerous dangerous situations. They remind me of the package art that accompanied G.I. Joe figures and accessories.







5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Love the dorky hat.

M. D. Jackson said...

Those illustrations at the end of the show were usually more exciting then what the puppets got up to while the show was happening. I would have paid to see THOSE episodes.

Awww... DAMN! Now I have the Captain Scarlet theme song stuck in my head! Damn you, Cal!

MichaelRbn said...

INDESTRUCTABLE! Captain Scarlet! I loved that show and also remember wondering when we'd ever see the adventures shown during those closing credits.

Kal said...

It's all about the fashion with you isn't it Debra?

I would have loved some of these illustration playsets like the one with the spiked wall closing in on him.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

So sue me. I'm a shallow bitch.