Monday, March 12, 2012

Childhood Trauma



Jeremy over at Retro-Zombie sent me shivering under the bed when I saw this clip. I watched a lot of 'Romper Room' as a kid. I watched DO-BEE the birth control bee teach me nothing with his silent judgements. I watched half drunk toddlers climb through pillow forts and utter every single thought that entered their heads. In short - it was a nightmare.

But the worst, the very worst is that freakin' magic mirror that Miss Fran pulled out of her jumper at the end of each episode. In all those years she never said my name ONCE. No Cal or Kal or Calvin or Kelvin. She saw me watching her but she ignored me out of spite. I still have that magic poem memorized.

'Romper Stomper Bomper Boo
Tell me, tell me, tell me do
Magic Mirror, please tell me today
Did all my friends have fun at play?'


That should tell you all you need to know about my personality and character. Lego and 'Romper Room' are to blame for all my insecurities and pain. That felt good to admit. Personal discovery and growth is really healthy.

You saw BRICK but not me???

GAH!

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That used to creep me out too.