Tuesday, July 10, 2012

50 Best Movies You Have Never Seen

Go here to see the entire list of little known movie gems from the Entertainment Weekly website. These are my top choices from their selections.



Are you a Downton Abbey devotee? Well then, now more than ever you need to see this adaptation of Stella Gibbons' deliciously warped comic 1932 novel, a sharp send-up of all things British and pastoral. A walloping bundle of Brit talent participates in this production: Look, there's Kate Beckinsale, Stephen Fry, Ian McKellen, and Ab Fab's Joanna Lumley!



A year before Michael Fassbender battled the X-Men, his onscreen magnetism was already on display in this drama, which cast him as the object of affection for both a mom (Kierston Wareing) and her daughter (Katie Jarvis) in a poor British suburb. But even Fassbender's charm won't distract you from Jarvis, who packs a lifetime of heartache into her movie debut.



We know some of you probably saw this remarkable animated sci-fi/fantasy movie when it was first released, but now is the time to revisit the story of a robot whocrash-lands off the coast of Maine in the Cold War 1950s. Why? The more oneknows of today's crazy world, the more piercing the political overtones. Plus, it was directed by Brad Bird, before he made The Incredibles and the recent Mission: Impossible—Ghost Protocol.



An astronaut (Sam Rockwell) has been in space for three years when his health mysteriously starts to deteriorate around the same time as he meets a healthy version of himself (also Sam Rockwell) at his lunar station. Director Duncan Jones delivers a stellar film that harks back to sci-fi's golden age of the 1970s and answers the question, What's better than one Sam Rockwell performance?

6 comments:

M. D. Jackson said...

I ain't seen none o' those there movies 'ceptin' MOON, on account'a it had -- like -- spaceships an' stuff.

Does that make me some sorta hillbilly?

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

50 Movies I've never seen before? More like 45 movies I've never seen before. I have seen Hatchi, Fly Away Home, The Iron Giant, Layer Cake and Moon.

I find it hard to believe that Iron Giant hasn't breached public perception, especially since the Cartoon Network used to play it all the time. I was fortunate enough to see it when it first came out, but didn't fully appreciate it until I was older.

"Bubba Hotep" has been on my To See List for a while, its just that the film is relatively short. With the ratio of rental cost to my income, I usually get something with a longer running time, so that I can get more bang for your buck.

TS Hendrik said...

I'm not sure who that list is meant for. I've seen a lot of them and consciously chosen not to watch others. There were only a few movies on there that I didn't know.

Fly away home? Come on... That was hugely successful when it came out.

DrGoat said...

I remember when Iron Giant came out too. I think it was popular enough that a lot of people heard about it. Ebert liked it. Ghost Dog was good. Rare Exports is a film I recommend if you want something different. Funny in a strange way.

sam said...

I've seen the Iron Giant and even had it on VHS when I was younger. It came with a replica plastic Iron Giant figurine and the book. Great film.

Kal said...

I used that Iron Giant plastic figure to put in the middle of my model railway buildings and town.