Thursday, July 12, 2012

Match Game Is Summer, Summer Is Match Game

We have a dumpy, ratty old dollar store tucked into one of the industrial districts of my town. I hate going in there because it's just the kind of place that would import the Ebola virus along with cheap wicker furniture. It's dirty and smelly and is staffed by people with 'questionable' legal and immigration status. I am sure the store is just a front for a much larger smuggling operation but I keep that opinion to myself when I am there.

Their stock is constantly rotating and sometimes you can find a real deal like this DVD I picked up for a dollar.

I was a kid who rarely slept and in the summer, when I hunkered down in the basement with my 13 inch black and white TV to escape the heat, there was nothing I love to watch more than the Match Game/Tonight Show/Today Show/Late Late Movie marathon. Aside from the genre programs, that was as good as entertainment ever got in the 1970s.



5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've been in a few Dollar Stores like that, boy.

Kal said...

The 'employees' always give me a look like they are ready to harvest my organs for sale. I do love a bargain, however.

Wings1295 said...

Like it as a kid, even if all the double and triple entendres went WAY over my head. Watched it obsessively a few years ago when we first got Game Show Network. Still funny stuff.

DrGoat said...

There are some bad Dollar Stores to be sure but there's a 99 cent store on the south side of Tucson that makes the Dollar Store look like Neiman Marcus. Every day there is like Escape from New York.

Kal said...

You are talking of a big city almost a dollar store. That is a totally different animal. I expect that store to be the refuge of the damned...but in my little slice of Eden?