Saturday, October 6, 2012

Well Now That I Got The Name Of The Movie Correct I Can See If It's A Good Film

 
I have mentioned before how great it was to live on a military base. Everything you needed was within walking distance. There were bowling leagues in the winter and baseball teams in the summer. The cafe served the best cheeseburger and fries this side of the curling club. It cost 25 dollars a year for a Jr. Golf Club membership (and they stored your clubs for you).

Every Saturday and Sunday afternoon there were matinees at the theatre that included cartoons, old news trailers, army safety films, previews, a Republic serial, a B movie and finally an A movie. It was a great way to spend a snowy afternoon.

Often they would repeat the same movie ever couple of months to pad out their selection. No one ever seemed to complain. It was rare to get to see a favorite movie more than once unless the film turned up on TV. Even then you had to commit time to the film right when it was on. There were no DVRs or viewing 'on demand'.

That is how I got to see The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad, Logan's Run, Where Eagles DareJason and the Argonauts, The Magnificent Seven and the original King Kong so many times.

Until today I thought this film was called The Ghost of Mister Blunden despite all the times I have seen it. No wonder it never came up in any of my torrent searches. I feel like I am getting to rediscover a lost gem from my childhood.

 
The title character is a ghost, doomed to roam his mansion until an age-old mystery is solved. A widow Dorothy Alison and her two children are "hired" by the wraith-like Blunden to aid him in his sleuthing. Also joining in on the investigation are two ghostly kids, who'd been mistreated in life.

 
I'll will let you know if the film still holds up today.
 

No comments: