Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Cool Comic Concepts


I have been reading many reviews of the 'Man of Steel' and was interested in the number of people who are fixated on the amount of collateral damaged caused during the fight between Superman and General Zod.

I never even considered the damage to be a problem because I knew that some company like Damage Control would just show up and fix everything like they do in the comics. Who does do the clean-up and how does it get paid for? Can you actually sue a Doctor Doom for damages? Damage Control was a series of limited series that answered these questions that no one would ask but the very geekiest of geeks.

I always thought this would be a great TV series showing what happens AFTER the battle between the superheroes and their villains. What do they find in the villain's lair after it's discovered and destroyed by the inevitable battle with the hero? Hopefully the new Agents of SHIELD series this fall will contain many such elements.

 


 

7 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Given the increased volume of superhero movies with big city destruction, I'm surprised no one at a smaller studo has tried pitching a comedy film with a similar premise. A quirky blue collar crew dealing with the skyward elite could really connect with audiences and bring the emphasis on characterization in comic movies full circle.

Also, I've heard nothing but good things about Damage Control, I need to see if I can find a trade paperback collection.

Bob/Sally said...

HA! Good to know I'm not the only one hoping for a Damage Control cameo.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Damage Control was mentioned in a news ticker at the end of "Iron Man". Maybe they'll get their due in "Avengers 2".

Super-Duper ToyBox said...

this WOULD make a great comedy!

Kal said...

You wouldn't even need to use established superheroes for it to work. Like MYSTERY MEN just make your own up - only the ones in my movie will have REAL powers.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Actually, Mystery Men was loosely based on characters from "Flaming Carrot Comics", but I understand what you mean.

Kal said...

I am still upset that they rejected the application of THE WAFFLER.