Sunday, August 25, 2013

Much Copied But Never Duplicated

 
Using this 'caught in the spotlight in front of a poster of my dead friends'  as the cover design for your comic book will instantly remind any fans of the great original cover and storyline that inspired it -  'Days of Future Past'
 
Usually when someone chooses this design they are fully aware of the homage they are playing to the famous X-Men cover and for that reason you often only have to change a few elements to make the cover work. Or you could turn people off by beating the same dead horse over and over again.

 





 
 
 

3 comments:

M. D. Jackson said...

A great cover and a really great storyline as I remember it. Looking forward to the movie!

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

While I agree that this is a great cover that may be copied far too often, I think comics is a more forgiving medium for this kind of homage than film. If you try to imitate a scene like this in a movie that inspired from another movie you're either declared a hack or Quentin Tarantino.

Kal said...

I like those homages by Tarantino. Not enough creators try to be different or take inspiration from what has come before.

I think Days will be great. Sure they changed it to send Wolverine and not Kitty into the past and I want to see who they are fighting. In the movie it was the Brotherhood.