Thursday, July 10, 2014

Life During The Cold War

I love this idea for a photostudy. The crumbling remains of the Soviet Union is endlessly fascinating to me. I remember when it was such a giant symbolic power which has crumbled to dust like all empires before it. There's a lesson in that.




 
The countries of the former Eastern bloc are full of abandoned monuments to the glory of the Soviet Union. Risking arrest and radiation, photographer Rebecca Litchfield took a road trip through the ruined hospitals, barracks, prisons and spy stations to produce a haunting ghost story in bricks and mortar

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/gallery/2014/jul/10/soviet-ghosts-an-empire-in-decay-in-pictures?view=classic

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

"And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains."

Shelley, yo.

Kal said...

Boss...