Monday, December 22, 2014

I Should Scan And Post These

Before I knew there was such a thing AS a TIME LORD (from Doctor Who) I invented a story with a TIME LORD (a guy with the power to control time) as my hero/villain. I even storyboarded the whole thing. It was part of a grade 12 class on Creative Writing and telling a story by panels like in a comic book was one of the presentation options. I of course made one as an 'example' or at least that is what I told everyone. Off ONE image I came up with a great story that I HAD to tell. Hasn't everyone who has loved reading comic books yearned to create their own classic work? I wrote and designed every panel - tracing from a hundred difference sources to get the look I wanted.


Anyways, that was the origin of this story. After I created 90% of the work, I was asked by the special ed teacher for an advanced project for one of her 'clients' to work on. He was a creative kid with Assberger's so I put him to work creating the colored version that you see on the wall. He was very proud of his work and was great to work with. I felt like an editor giving him feedback about color and storytelling. He even finished some of the panels so this makes this project a collaboration. I wanted him to have the finished work but he refused to keep it. He wanted me to use it as an example for kids in other years.

 
(click to enlarge)

Actually the picture was a photo ad for the comic book series - THE RAY from DC comics.

 

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That's pretty fab, Cal. I hope you got an A+ for it!

Kal said...

Well since I did the grading then I had to reward the best work, damn the curve. Damn it to hell.

Tim Knight said...

That is VERY impressive. You really do need to scan and post these so we can get a true taste of the story.