Friday, June 22, 2018

My Mother And Lt. Tuvak

 
I could tell you the best story from Vul-Con. My Mother who doesn't know a Star Trek from a butter dish but she got to Vul-Con after getting lost with her friend who at 65 is a huge Trekkie. My mom was standing there by herself watching all the people in their Klingon garb and a black man moved to watch the same procession and ended up standing next to her. She asked him if he understood what was going on around her. For the next ten mintues he answered all her questions about why he enjoyed this stuff but at NO TIME did he or she bring up the fact that was on one of the Star Trek shows as a main cast member for years. She had no idea and I think he was relieved not to be recognized for a second. Maybe because of that fact he was very kind to her and she in turn found him delightful and she left understanding why Star Trek was more than just space ships and guys with pointed ears. When she came home she gave me a signed photo that Tim has given to her to give to me with the additional - "Your Mother was the most delightful 'fan' I have ever met.' added to his autograph. On the way home her friend, the fan, was shitting her diaper and would have killed for the experience my Mother had by just being a chatty person.

 

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

This is hilarious! And I bet your Mom was delightful to talk to! So was this Vul-Con held in Calgary or was it in Vulcan, AB? And why didn't you go along? Or did the girls ditch ya?

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Always in Vulcan. They were out for a dive and they just came across it on Vul-Con weekend.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

"out for a drive and just came across it" makes it even FUNNIER!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Her friend is the oldest Star Trek fan I know. When she realized where they were she lost her mind so my Mom just wandered around. Can you imagine all the 'freaks' she would have seen. Now this is a woman who hates anything UNREAL.