Thursday, December 9, 2010

I Feel Like Tearing Apart Parts Of Movies That Don't Make Sense Tonight


“Let’s see, how can I explain this? Did you ever see the movie Contact? So, like, they spent a trillion dollars building this mile-high space machine and Jake Busey blows it up. So now they’re all like, ‘Oh, no, we can’t use the space machine!’ But then this other guy is like ‘Hey, it just so happens I built another identical trillion-dollar space machine at my own expense on the other side of the world.’ And we’re supposed to believe no-one noticed that? Well, I stood up in the theatre and I said: ‘No! You can’t go into space because the machine already got blown up by Jake cock-a-doody Busey!’”

6 comments:

Rod Barnett said...

There are a lot more reasons why CONTACT sucked. I could go on at length but I'm in a good mood and discussing that mess of a film will destroy my happy buzz.

Kal said...

Just starting the discussion my brother. Jodi Foster was badly miscast - discuss.

Rod Barnett said...

Foster is the least of my complaints. Matthew McConaughey- how in the fuck did keep popping up every damn place Foster was? By the end of the film I expect it would be HIM that she met on the other planet! He was everywhere else- why not? I really thought he was going to turn out to be a ghost or an alien or something.

M. D. Jackson said...

If you read Carl Sagan's book the movie made even less sense. Jodi Foster was not miscast. She was perfect as the character as written in the novel. Matthew McConaughey was miscast. His character from the book is a middle aged overweight religious zealot more akin to Rush Limbaugh.

Also in the book four astronauts go into the capsule. There isn't that whole "You just made it all up" business.

I fairness to the movie I liked Gary Busey's character (a character not from the book). I also liked Tom Skerrit, James Woods and David Morse.

Kelly Sedinger said...

The movie has flaws, but overall I found it a well-made and intelligent film that actually used science fiction to say something other than "Explosions and spaceships, WHEEEEE!!!" (Not that I'm not a big sucker for explosions and spaceships, mind you...but I like an "idea" movie now and then as well.)

Kelly Sedinger said...

Oh, I'd also say that the government building a second "machine" in secret was a lot more believable in 1995 or 1996 (when the movie came out), when conspiracy theories about government secrecy were all the rage. It played a lot better then than it does now, when you KNOW some blogger would take a photo of the thing and post it to Tumblr.