Monday, January 3, 2011

Nothing Worse

Than trying to be funny and having it go over like a lead balloon. To make it it even more humiliating, the person you are joking around with replies by stomping you down (verbally) and stomping you down HARD! Both barrels. It can crush you all the way down to your soul.

That just happened to me on Twitter. My instincts were so wrong that it wasn't enough just to ignore me. I am usually a pretty good judge of what is funny and appropriate but this time I was way off. Not replying off the cuff like that again.

I would share the whole conversation with you but I can't bear to read it again. Let's just leave it at that.

7 comments:

joe ackerman said...

dude! come on! I gots to know!

M. D. Jackson said...

That happened to me once. Started working in an office where the majority were women after years of working mostly with guys. I made an off the cuff funny, only it wasn't so funny. Ever had a room full of women glare at you disapprovingly? That's only one of the reasons I will never have a harem.

Kal said...

Now THIS is why we are friends. I never get the appeal of the Harem either. Sure variety is nice but I don't think I want 100 women disapointed in me and talking about that amongst themselves.

Polygamist marriages basically perform the same function. Mormons are goofy.

ONE woman, hopefully isolated enough from those who can tell her that she can do so much better than me if she just APPLIES herself.

DrGoat said...

Happens to me at work regularly. I'm about 16 yrs. older than the next oldest person here, so also a lot of my movie lines and references get the WTF look.

csmith2884 said...

Happens to me all the time..I have a warped humor. I don't care too much about the easily offended anymore. To each their own.

Kal said...

I believe to each his own too cs and the many many many many fine moments of joy that my humor brings to others cannot be compared to the those few times when my grape turned into a raisin. But this was so quick and so brutal it sent me reeling.

Kal said...

He last line was - "Bet you don't feel so cool now do you?" - OUCH