Sunday, November 13, 2011

It Was Nice To Go To The Movies


I used to love going to the dollar theatre near my house but I haven't been there for years. Since talking my mother into reading 'The Help', I had no choice but to take her to the movie when it reached the cheap theatre. I went in with some worries that the lack of car crashes would leave my mind wandering but that didn't happen.

This was a beautifully acted and filmed movie about a group of maids who worked for wealthy white families in Jackson Mississippi. Despite having spend decades raising and caring for the children of their employers, many black maids are treated with contempt and even after thirty plus years of service they could be dismissed out of hand for the most minor of infractions.


Coming back home from college, young Skeeter (Emma Stone) wants to be a writer and finds the perfect subject matter in the stories these maids have to tell about their years working for white families. Of course they can't sign their name to the book so it's published under the title Anonymous.


This script is a showcase for the actresses who play the main characters. I expect many nominations for Octavia Spencer (as Minny the maid) and especially Bryce Dallas Howard who shines while playing a totally reprehensible person.


I absolutely loved the relationship between social misfit Celia Foote (Jessica Chastain), left, and her housekeeper Minny Jackson (Octavia Spencer). Their personal story arc is very satisfying.


This is the kind of movie that makes me wish I had a female friend that could act as my 'beard' when I want to go have a good cry in a movie theatre.

8/10

6 comments:

Unknown said...

My mother in law enjoyed this one Cal and i wouldn't of had any problems seeing it if she had asked me to go. It looked like a good movie.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

The older I get the more I can appreciate really strong acting and storytelling and this one was one that will stick with me for awhile.

Wings1295 said...

Seems like a good story and a good movie, from all I have heard. And never be ashamed of what you like. Just enjoy it. Life's too short for nonsense like that. Last night, we watched "Lucky Christmas" on Hallmark. Nothing earth-shattering, just a simple way to spend some time. :)

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I joke about it but I love these kinds of movies.

csmith2884 said...

It's dark in there so big guys like you and me can have a wee cry. I used to care what other people thought about stuff like that but now I could give a shit. This one is on my to see movie list btw.

Belle said...

I'll watch it for sure when it's on TV. It sounds wonderful.