Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Photo Of The Month And Maybe The Year Plus My Thoughts On 'Hunger Games'


Because I do love me some ATTITUDE by someone who will not back down. This little girl is who you want covering your back when some stupid skater punk gets up in your grill.

Tough girls.

Maybe that is why I am loving 'Hunger Games' so much. The writing style is so lean and quick that I feel like I can get through 100 pages in ten minutes. I feel like I am racing to the start of the games and that is what I love - drive to me to the heart of story and let me go.


The movie looks like it's going to be terrific if it replicates the story. I am really enjoying the five chapters I have already read and usually I HATE stories where the characters are starving and know only suffering in their lives. (Have not and will not read 'The Road')


I also find I am not having to reread portions of the book to remember what certain characters have done since I last was reading. Suzanne Collins has found a perfect protagonist in Katniss - who notices everything and remembers everything and has a gift for putting it all together in her head. Plans within plans but only if those plans result in another day of survival. She is as interesting a character to read and imagine as she will be on the big screen. I am glad I have a vision of her in my head to round out my internal imagination about the world these characters inhabit. I must have watched that trailer 50 times looking for as many puzzle pieces as I can.


I can imagine a whole lot of girls being named Katniss (I already think its a perfect girl's name next to Logan, 'Wynter' and 'Scout') just like there will be a whole lot of Bella's out there in a couple of years also.



I wish I had four daughters now.

4 comments:

Paladin said...

I've read The Road... Made even me want to find a dark corner, roll up in a ball, and rock back and forth.

Daisy said...

My Mommeh is racing through the second book now, it is just as good!

Anonymous said...

I may have to pick this book up - I've always liked this premise.

There is also a movie coming called Sol, which appears to based on Robert Heinlein's "Tunnel In The Sky", about a survival class sent to do their "final exam" on another planet, only to be stranded there for real when the jumpgate doesn't re-open.

Nathan said...

Although I'm sure Twilight gave it a huge boost, I think Isabella was already a pretty popular name before it came out. Haven't read Hunger Games, but I like the name "Katniss."