Thursday, May 17, 2012

Even The Tulips Know The Snows Are Coming



If there is one thing as sure as death and taxes it's the poor Victoria Day weather in my part of the world. Every year, even if we are having a hot and gorgeous May, the weather always turns dark and cold and stormy during the first long weekend of the summer. It's like we lost a bet to some evil weather god and he comes to wreck his horrible vengeance on us for all time.

Ever since I was a kid I have made note of the crappy time I always seem to have in some dark forest near the Rocky Mountains. It's always loud and wet and drunk and cold. It's always a nightmare set to the music of Wagner. To add to the insult, the ride home on Monday afternoon is usually done to bright and sunny skies. Stupid outdoors.

Those three day ordeals were bad enough when I was a Cub and a Scout but only got worse as a teen and young adult. Adding alcohol to the 'Lord of the Flies' environment never ended well for anyone. The ability of others to light and play with fire also keeps things jumpin.

I always liked watching the inevitable 'Feats of Strength' when some intoxicated hillbilly numnut tries to lift a hay bale above his head and toss it - and himself - into the ever growing bonfire. Good times.

I looked outside this morning and the temperature had dropped about 18 degrees Celsius from last evening. There is a forecast for snow near Calgary and the news cast caused the tulips in my front yard to close up and brace for the worst. Plants can be so brave some times. Breaks your heart to watch them struggle.

I really hope I am proven wrong because I have a gardening empire to build and control - I have mutant pumpykins to grow. There are bees that are waiting for the pollen.

I will keep you updated.

7 comments:

csmith2884 said...

Try covering them overnight if the cold will pass quick. A oversize cardboard box works well and keeps from laying on the plant.

Super-Duper ToyBox said...

didn't know you had a green thumb, Cal...

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I am a complicated individual.

Nick Ward said...

The cold is upon us here in New Zealand. Crisp and cool nights and while the lush green hurts your eyes just to look at it the flowers are gone. I miss them.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

That is right. You are into your winter times. That would be a trip to be cold in July.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yeah, it was bitchin' cold last night. Alberta. Gotta love it.

Nick Ward said...

Winter is coming...