Tuesday, June 5, 2012

7 Movies You Already Know I Love




If you are like me you believe that Val Kilmer was robbed as his best supporting actor Oscar for his turn as Doc Holiday. One of the great westerns of all time with a tough guy cast and nice retelling of the myths surrounding the famous Gunfight at the O.K. Corral.





Kubrick is genius but also a nut who was obsessive with his film making process. It is nothing for him to ask for hundreds of takes of the same scenes from his actors, often drawing out of them the most remarkable of performances (Jack Nicholson in The Shinning).  I find this Cold War comedy to be his sharpest and most focused film. Enjoy seeing a young James Earl Jones when you watch. This is the one that defies everything I think of Peter Sellers, an actor I have never warmed up to. He plays 3 totally different unique characters in this film and if that is not genius then I don't know what is. George C. Scott deserves special mention as the crazed General watching all the madness unfold in front of him. It's really hard to play the line between befuddled and truly batshit crazy.






One of the most fun I have ever had at the movies. The effect at the time were ground breaking and the comedy here is sweet and often very very funny. When Robin Williams is under control, he can be a very good actor. A young Kirsten Dunst is great to watch here too. The sequences with David Allen Greer and his poor, doomed police car need to be collected by someone and posted on You Tube so I can further rant about their genius.






The source of my man-crush on Brad Pitt. As Tristen, "He broke every rule of god and man but they all loved him more." Great family epic about three brothers and their father who all fall in love with the same woman with all the pain and joys that you would expect from such an arrangement.






One that totally blew me away like no movie I have ever seen. The first time I saw I HAD to watch it the next two times it was on that weekend. I was challenged by all the time travelling metaphysics and Jake Gyllenhall's amazing, haunting performance. As far as I am concerned, he can make any piece of crap he wants from now on but you will never hear a single bad word from me. Life time pass for Jake.




My father's favorite movie (after the Quiet Man) because of all the great political intrigue, tense situations and complicated resolution all under and atmosphere of fear and paranoia at the height of the Cold War. 'Ice Station Zebra'  was a similar actioner which I would put on a double bill with The Hunt For Red October. Sean Connery's best performance in a cast full of great performances.




My all time favorite childhood movie bar none. I can recite the film entirely from memory and I never tire of it. It's the only movie I would bring to a desert island and probably was responsible for me having such a fantastic imagination. The beautiful Caroline Munroe also holds the title of Kal's first big screen crush. This is my 'happy place'. "Trust in Allah, but tie up your camel" is advice we all can't hear often enough.

10 comments:

M. D. Jackson said...

Doctor Strangelove is one of the greatest movies of all time. I have seen it countless times.

I have never seen Tombstone, however. Am I missing something?

M. D. Jackson said...

...oh look! Kurt Russell with a wacky mustache. I guess I have to see this movie now.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

NO NO NO...You are totally wrong. Sam Neil as a much better mustache. Plus you really have to see Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday. This is a major oversight on your part my friend. Trust me on this one.

M. D. Jackson said...

I commented on this post before you were finished with it. After reading what you said about Tombstone I feel I have missed out on a cultural touchstone. I must remedy that.

Same with Donnie Darko. You've talked about it for a long time and I still have not managed to see it.

I loved Jumanji (as did my kids) and The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, of course. The Hunt for Red October was one of a small number of movies that my Dad and I could agree on. I took him to see it in the theater and we both enjoyed it.

I suppose I should see Legends of the Fall as well.

Margaret Benbow said...

Val Kilmer's performance as Doc Holiday---for me it was the most enjoyable of the decade. Loved the way he tormented his enemies. Slow drawl and fast draw! Even his tubercular sweat was perfect. Yes, he should have won that Oscar.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

"Donnie Darko" is on my "to see" list. Gotta be in the right mood for it though.

DrGoat said...

Dr. Strangelove is one of the best movies ever made. Like MD, I've seen it several times and it makes me laugh every time. The dialog is priceless. I like Legends, Voyage, Hunt, and Jumanji too. Donnie Darko is OK, not one of my favorites, but certainly not a bad movie.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

MD - Tombstone is a very pop Hollywood western that they someone didn't manage to screw up. Great supporting cast too, Powers Booth, Michael Bien.

Donnie Darko was one I heard was a 'cult favorite' but had avoided too. It was just on and I said 'what the hell'. That is the mood you need to be in to totally 'GET' DD.

MD - No Legends? I can't even stand to look at you right now. So all these years I thought you knew what happen to poor SAMUEL. YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW THE SOURCES OF TRISTEN'S PAIN??? I love you but damn, brother. You are not making it easy right now.

Mike D. said...

Cal,

Once again you prove that we have very similar tastes... and obviously you know what you are talking about because I am a genius!!!

Lol... just kidding. But seriously, this is a great fucking list. I like that you tout it 'My Favorites' instead of 'Best Movies'... its what they mean to you. Great points on each.

Strangelove is one of the best films ever made. Kubrick at his best.

Darko is a killer cult flick. The smurf rant is some of the best pieces of dialogue ever written.

Jumanji works so well... timeless!

Tombstone is such an underrated film. Great performances from everyone, especially Kilmer.

Sinbad is always a fun watch.

Legend of the Fall is another underrated film with a great performance from Brad Pitt.

Hunt for Red october was OK.... my only objection to your choices. I didn't like it that much.

But I can't believe you never connected with Peter Sellers!!! He is my all time favorite actor, and his work in The Pink Panther series & The Party as well as Being There & After the Fox really show his diversity as an actor off. Have you seen the movies? What are your opinions on them (They are all on netflix Instant except for The Party... arguably the best film Sellers ever made).

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

You are the third person to suggest 'After the Fox' to me and I will see it for Sellers but in truth I never miss a good Victor Mature movie.