Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Why I Hate And Fear Frogs


I was more an indoor than outdoor cat as a kid. I didn't mind going outside but I had my limits. I was more likely to run from a snake and be the last one to touch one that someone else has picked up. At night, out at the family farm, I was always fearful of everything that made noise in the dark, especially the frogs.

Living on the farm meant that we only had two channels for weeks at a time. After a long day out in the heat there was nothing more fun than the late night movie. I fought hard to stay awake long enough to catch the mayhem and mosters that they showed nightly on our local stations.

That was until I saw FROGS. Since then I have not been a fan of these amphibians. In the movie they get louder and louder as they come closer to the house and that meant bad things were about to happen. To this day if I hear the frogs I listen to insure that they are keeping their distance. In Australia, where the frogs are really vocal, I often slept with my sandals on in case I had to walk the house in the dark. There was no way I was taking the chance to step on the frogs with my bare feet.

My sister had to have two computers repaired because little frogs got into the machines and were fried to death by the electronics. I have no interest in smelling dead frogs as I surf for pictures.



7 comments:

Tempo said...

Hey Cal, I want to send you a pic. Where can I find your email addy?

M. D. Jackson said...

I so wanted to see that movie when I saw the poster of the frog with the hand in its mouth. I was expecting BIG frogs. What the film delivered was a whole lot of little ones. I felt a bit cheated. Plus I found Ray Milland in his wheelchair scarier than the little croakers.

Kal said...

kheighton@hotmail.com

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I was house-sitting for a neighbor a couple months back, who had a big tv and a bigger collection of classic movies on Blu Ray. All the Oscar Winners, 3 hour epics, critically acclaimed foreign films... and this movie.

Seeing the trailer makes the idea seem even goofier. You'd think they'd include some kind of monologue about the Biblical Plague of Frogs in Egypt in an attempt to at least try and make it seem like this movie has some kind of weight.

Kal said...

I remember that summer seemed to be all full up of 'nature gone bad' movies. The killer bees and bugs that caught on fire were popular and terrifying.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

And yet, they have such tasty legs.

Kal said...

I won't eat those but I will lick that toad that makes a person high.