Monday, June 25, 2012

Daily Reminder - View Master Secrets.




 
Thanks to Todd Popp, a fan of the vintage 3-D images from the famous View-Master you'll see today extremely rare pictures related to 20000 Leagues under the Sea. This set of images from the classic tale was created in 1954 by View-Master but as you will see these are not stills from the Disney movie. Instead View-Master artists specially created dioramas which were then photographed to be included in the View-Master 3D discs. Even if the Nautilus or Captain Nemo don't look exactly like in the movie the scenes are inspired by the Jules Verne novel and the Disney movie - including the giant squid scene! - and the characters were sculpted by artist Warren Chaney. Below, a photo of Martha Armstong-Hand who was the artist who created the tiny costumes for these table-top figures.









Check out the rest of the images by going HERE.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I just love this! It is so neat to see images like this.

Kal said...

It's one of those things that I found on Monday morning and I have been consumed with it for ours. I was a big big Veiwmaster guy as a kid. The fact that they would even make these to created the 3-D effect is amazing. This is what happen when corporation profits go back into research, design and development.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I loved my Viewmaster when I was a kid. I didn't have this set, but I had the Seven Ancient Wonders of the World and something with Yogi Bear, if memory serves.

Steve said...

I love the captain's insane expression in that last picture.

D.I. Felipe González said...

Amazing set of pictures. Those viewers were (are, I´ve still got mine) far better 3d than most modern pictures.