Sunday, October 14, 2012

I Usually HATE World Records But This One Is Spiffy


Felix Baumgartner, decked out in his spiffy Red Bull jumpsuit, successfully set a new record for highest jump by a human, but failed to establish a new freefall record. The Austrian sky diver jumped from a capsule nearly 25 miles in the air, reaching speeds hovering near the sound barrier.

 
Just a few minutes ago, Austrian badass Felix Baumgartner landed safely on solid ground after plummeting from an amazing 128,000 feet. That’s about 24 1/2 miles straight up, where he fell 115,000 feet in just a few minutes, hitting a top speed of 833.9 mph, or Mach 1.24, making him the first person to break the sound barrier while not in a vehicle.
 
And for those of you who missed it, Lego has re-created the whole thing for you to enjoy.
 


4 comments:

Wings1295 said...

Guy has got balls. I wouldn't have done it!

Kal said...

I have jumped but it was terrifying until I hit the air. Then I felt like I was floating.

Wings1295 said...

Kudos to you, then! Awesome!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I heard on TV that he's going to retire now and fly helicopter rescue in Switzerland.