Tuesday, October 9, 2012

TV Times


Hell On Wheels ended it's second season with one of the largest ballets of death and destruction that I have ever seen on TV. I don't know how they continue from here because the bar has definitely been raised for whatever happens if there is a season three. If this is the end, however, then I am pretty satisfied with the way the story concluded. It wasn't always fair or pretty but Hell on Wheels was always compelling. The show had a strong style and tone and the characters stayed true to themselves right to the end. I don't know if I feel rewarded or punished for my love and loyalty for this program and that kind of internal struggle is why I love series television so much.


Homeland is still the most exciting show on television. No one plays manic intensity like Claire Daines. There was a moment at the height of danger when she flashed a tiny wicked smile after thinking her way out of danger - that was thrilling to see. There are so many layers to her performance.


Can we also discuss that twist at the end of the episode?? Are you kidding me? How confident are the creators in their story that they drop a bombshell like this in episode TWO of the second year? This is something that would usual end a season and leave you suffering for answers until the next season began. Now is the time for you to catch up on the best show on television so we can talk about it.


Amazing Race - saving this one up to enjoy with my Mom when she gets home from her own world travels. She will be sick of other places by that time but it's a show we enjoy watching together like Survivor and Big Brother.


I know it's on British TV so you have to look for the torrent but 8 Out Of 10 Cats is one of the funniest shows around. Set up like a fake game show, it's really just an excuse for funny people to goof of the news of the day. Long time watchers are rewarded when the host and comics give each other the business about their bizarre lifestyle quirks. It's quitisentially British comedy to me. Reminds me of the lost and missed 'Two Ronnies'.

What do you enjoy watching these days?

6 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I've fallen hard for "Gravity Falls", the latest animated offering on the Disney Channel. The Pines Twins: The inquisitive Dipper and his lovable lunatic sister Mabel are spending with the summer with their cantankerous Great Uncle Stan in Gravity Falls, Oregon were he runs "The Mystery Shack", a museum devoted unexplained paranormal activity. Its help that the town's spooky woods are a hub of monsters and mayhem ranging from angry gnomes to testosterone fueled "Manotaurs".

The Pacific Northwest Forests make for a really eerie setting and the writing is smart and genre saavy, with some good witty dialogue. Its also the only kids cartoon were I've heard the word "murder" ever used. On a Disney channel show no less!

I'm also liking Nickelodeon's new "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" cartoon. I expected this one to be a shoddily put together cash grab but the pilot episode was very well assembled. It had some rough spots, especially with Michangelo's "childishness", but it has plenty of potential and makes for good follow up after "Young Justice".

Kal said...

I haven't seen any of those yet because I am saving up episodes so I can do a marathon. Have heard great things about Gravity Falls.

Young Justice is still good and I want to see how the new cartoon Beware the Batman is. I don't like some of the villains they are using like the disgusting Grant Morrison created Professor Pig (Ugh!) but I want to see how the animation is done.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I'm intrigued by the possibility of "Beware" because it seems to be willing to operate without a safety net. Glen Murakami and Mitch Watson are on as showrunners and they've delivered some wacky goods on Teen Titans and Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc so I think it has potential, but we'll have to wait until Spring 2013 to find out.

Pat Tillett said...

I really like Hell on Wheels. One of my favorites for sure. I was really surprised (and disappointed) when Dominique Mc Elligott's character was killed off.
I also thought it was REALLY nice of those Indians to hold torches in the middle of the night so they could make such good targets around the bridge. Still, I can't wait for next season to start!

Kal said...

I read an article that suggested that the episode was more of an 'OCCURANCE AT OWL CREEK BRIDGE' than anything that REALLY happened. Like a collective hallucination by the everyone or just the Swede living inside his own fevered mind. He did seem to move pretty well after being tortured so badly. He is also clearly going to survive his 'hanging' which makes me hope this is just a dream.

I hated to see her go too. That was really uncalled for after everything else rough that had happened to her already in this show. But I enjoy it very much.

Kal said...

You are totally right about the torches - for brillian guerilla fighters those Sioux missed the memo to be more stealthy. If you want to shine then just attack in the daytime and be done with it.