Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Perfect Zombie Weaponry Made From Old Lawnmower Blades

 
Figured it was about time I put photos of a few of my forged blades on Flickr...I made this large kopis-like knife (machete, really) from an old lawnmower blade. The steel is reasonably good stuff and keeps an edge as well as most steels I'm accustomed to working with, and took a similar heat treatment. Attachment holes were patched with a couple rounds of stick welding before forging and plenty of stock removal. Patina'd by alternating hot H2O2 and acetic acid (vinegar). Handle is riveted and glued oak wrapped in leather (removable), and the sheath is cowhide died with a couple of my homemade dyes and marked with homemade stamps.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Did you make this knife yourself, Cal or is this just reposted from some other blog?

Kal said...

Reposted. That is why it's italisized. I thought that was my signature. But I have a nice machete from the Dominican Republic that was also made from a lawnmower blade. Has a cool leather sheath too. Gotta be safe...just in case...you know...

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I know you usually italicize reposts but you also usually post a link to the original too. So I was torn by the mixed message. Cut in twain, you might say.