Thursday, November 7, 2013

The Last Day On Mars (2013)


Astronaut Zombies On Mars would be my one word review for this film. It's a fresh setting for a tried and true movie staple - the zombie infection. Only this time it's on Mars on the last day of a six month mission for a team of scientists. Of course they just happen to get infected before they were to leave and they find life and pop goes the weasel. Literally.


That's the movie. Damn if it wasn't a high concept that didn't quite work but maybe it did. I just felt so disorientated watching this like the characters must have felt making it. I don't like space zombies. I have decided I really hate space astronaut zombies. But I like Liev Schreiber. He is very good as usual as the brave astronaut with issues of his own. I like how everyone is honest with each other about their fears. It humanizes them and makes me invest in what happens to them. Of course the cast of mostly knowns get picked off one by one. Some people are smart and therefor they don't die until the end. The dumb die early and they die violently - just like in the jungle.


But I liked the panic. The claustrophobia. The fear and paranoia. But this is also why I believe you never leave the Earth. This is why humans have no business in space. Unless they are tabloid celebrities on a flight to the sun. Space is just germs and death. Usually death by decompression. Some adventure.

 
But the fight against death this time is an interesting one with people using all the resources at their disposal just to survive.

I have said before that this is my favorite genre of movie - the one where a group of people are attacked by some creature or creatures and get picked off one by one. This one had some tense moments and genuine chills although you have seen it done a million times before.



1 comment:

Anthony Simeone said...

Love me some Elias Koteas as well! Want to see this!