Sunday, July 20, 2014

Filmed In Supermarionation



For most of my teaching career I had the BBC Canada channel on my cable package. Every Sunday I would stay up late just to watch the old Captain Scarlett program. I couldn't get enough of the cool vehicles and the cool 'vibe' that the show put out. I was always amazed that these people put so much effort and thought into a goofy little puppet show. You couldn't help but get excited with them. I wish I had grown up with The Thunderbirds and all the other great shows that Gerry Anderson and his crew made. Thank you Internets for allowing me to re-educate myself about the genre over the years. These shows were one of the first things that I watched on the newly formed You Tube. For that reason I know I will enjoy this retrospective documentary. Anderson did some cool work that you at least have to appreciate from a design perspective. Everything is made to look as realistic as was possible, given the limitation of the puppets. Many of the special effects still hold up and are thrilling to watch.

Thanks to the Pop Culture Safari for letting me know that this documentary existed.

No comments: