Friday, December 12, 2014

Variant Themed Covers From DC

Very little that DC does these days seems to get my interest. I haven't read a comic book story from that company in a long time. I have never felt so lost and disconnected with comic books in all my life. The really sad thing is that I can find the comics for free if I wanted to read them. I just have no patience for starting the process of getting into a new story.

I can however, give time to these variant covers which seem to be the current rage. And why not? Give creative people a theme (in this case famous movie posters) and a striking series of covers will result. Most of these are pretty standard but some are cool. For some reason I thought I had seen the Prince/Batgirl cover years ago. Or maybe it's just that the idea is so perfect. The purple suit and the purple bike and the purple rain just go together.

 
DC produces these alternate covers several times a year because they get attention from the Internet. It's too bad the insides of the books aren't as compelling as the stories they promise on the outside.

If anyone has any good recommendations on what I could be reading, drop me a suggestion in the comments section. BONUS for anyone who can name all the movies that were the inspiration.





 














 
 
I know I wasn't going crazy. I knew I had see the Batgirl as Princes' Purple Rain before. This one was created years ago by Chris Chiang. Thanks to
 
 

9 comments:

Simon B said...

Cal, I've felt a similar disconnection from mainstream ( ie superhero ) comics over the last few years. Maybe it's an age thing but DC and Marvel really aren't producing much that appeals to me any more. And I'm OK with that... maybe it's time to move on...

Mike D. said...

These are awesome. Which film is the Batman and Robin cover from?

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Selfie Covers, then Harley and Flash Photobombing, and now this. Ho Hum.

Batgirl-Purple Rain
Wonder Woman-300
Action Comics-Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
Sinsetro-Westworld
Batman & Robin-Harry Potter
Batman/Superman- The Fugitive
Catwoman-Bullit
Flash-North by Northwest
Green Lantern-2001 A Space Odyssey
Grayson-Enter the Dragon
GL Corps-Forbidden Planet
Harley Quinn-Jailhouse Rock
JLUnited- Mars Attacks
JLDark - Beetlejuice
Justice League-Magic Mike
Detective Comics-The Matrix
Batman- The Mask
Superman-Super Fly
Superman/Wonder Woman-Gone with the Wind
Supergirl-Wizard of Oz
Teen Titans-The Lost Boys

Debra She Who Seeks said...

These are all so good! My faves are the ones based on The Full Monty (altho Erik says it's Magic Mike -- I'll defer to him as being more up on male stripper movies than I am), The Matrix and especially Gone with the Wind -- love the burning Acropolis in place of Atlanta!

Unknown said...

I've gotten back into comics with my kids so I'm happily doing a lot of catch up. Lot's to read for me. This years X-mas will see Santa bringing us the Invincible compendiums and the Ex Machina TBs, as well as a few others.
May be you need to branch out of the comic world. The Matt Scudder and Berie Rhodenbarr series by Lawrence Block, and the Aubry-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian are some of the finest non-picture books out there. And if you like them, you're good for the winter, and then some.

Professor Chaos said...

Amazing!

Rob R said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rob R said...

What a terrific post! Love these! A couple years ago, Cliff Chang did his "12 Inch Remix" set which included Batgirl on the Purple Rain cover, Teen Titans as The Breakfast Club cover, X-Men as Pretty in Pink cover, etc. They are all posted on his website: http://www.cliffchiang.com/12-inch-remix/

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

THAT is where I first say it. I am so glad to realize that my brain wasn't lying to me yet about what I thought I saw. Thanks Rob R.