Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Someone Tell Me Why?

There are probably ten films I have seen more than say 25 times. Just because when they come on TV I will watch them. I can quote verbatim the dialog and what scene is coming up. None more so than the first 'Mission Impossible' movie with Tom Cruise. I am not a fan of Cruise's at all. In fact I think his sheer star power takes away from my enjoyment of a film - "Oh look, there is Tom Cruise in ancient Rome, Oh there is Tom Cruise in Japan, Oh there is Tom Cruise in the future, with a hat and a baloney sandwich." So why this average spy story gets me every time is a mystery. Sure we all remember how tense the scene inside the CIA vault is. You just hold your breath not wanting to make a noise and trigger the alarm. However, its the scene at the end with the train that I can't get enough of. For some reason when Tom is on the runner of the helicopter with John Voight and gives his "Red Light, Green Light" speech (if you can call it that) and the old 'Mission Impossible' theme plays and he gets blasted UNHURT back onto the train...well my heart beats faster every time and not because I hope that THIS time Cruise will die. It is messed up.



My most viewed list off the top of my head is...

Ronin
Godfather 1&2
Star Wars
Resident Evil
Mission Impossible
Devil's Brigade
Hunt for Red October
Quiet Man
Golden Voyage of Sinbad
Die Another Day

1 comment:

Siskoid said...

More than 25 times? I don't know. More than 10 times is probably more accurate for me... There would be...
Star Trek VI
Blade Runner
Much Ado About Nothing
Magnolia
Batman
Groundhog Day
Moulin Rouge

A pretty eclectic bunch off the top of my head.