Wednesday, November 11, 2009

TV Times - V Episode 2


V - Okay that nail firing security ball that chased Jack and Miss FBI seems a bit low tech for extraterrestrial visitors doesn't it? And for an advance video surveillance device it produces really crappy images.

I do like the feeling of dread that the show projects. Hell, I felt for a second there that they were watching ME. How crappy would it be to have to look over your shoulder all the time. I don't, however, like the dynamic they are setting up to put mother and son against each other though I know that is a familiar source of dramatic conflict. That old priest is totally and obviously a visitor. I wish there was some quirk that would let us know who is and who is not a sleeper agent disguised as a human without having to cut them open or doing a skin peeling. Again, that would defeat the purpose. I just hate those backstabs that come after I get to like and trust a character especially when I KNOW its coming. It has too. This is the paranoia that is V. I do agree with 'The League' that the nations of the world did seem to bend over pretty quickly for the Visitors. I hope all this is just preliminary background before something fresh and new starts happening or this could be the disappointment of the season.

I always like Laura Vandervoort on Smallville as Kara and she is extra special alien sexy here.

2 comments:

Wings1295 said...

Haven't watched the 2nd episode yet, so I just skimmed your blog, but I do think they have found a way to make the aliens look "otherworldly", yes? They seems almost TOO perfect.

The League said...

I dunno, man. The whole thing is just so unsubtle and full of TV cliches. I don't disagree that the show is working very hard to build a feeling of dread, but its been done to death. In a lot of ways, what would have been scarier: playing on our fears that the person next to us could hurt us, or doing what the original series did and realizing you've sort of accidentally put your fate in the hands of a people who are going to exploit and eat you until your race is wiped from the map?

In a lot of ways, I think the show would have worked better had they introduced the Visitors and then flashed forward five years so we'd buy that people had time to adjust and a lot of the issues the show completely ignores had already been resolved.

There's just so much lacking in the writing on this show, and they seem so intent on pushing their storylines forward whether they make sense or not (really, the only separation between people and plague carrying aliens is a 6 foot aluminum folding gate?).

I want to like it, but they are making it really hard.