Monday, October 18, 2010

Firefly - Episode 10 - War Stories


Zoe - "Preacher, don't the bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?"

Book - "Quite specific. Only it is somewhat fuzzy on the subject of kneecaps."


I think I finally figured out how this great show got itself cancelled (despite it's criminally low ratings). Inara (who could have been played by Rebecca Gayheart who was cast before Morina Baccarin - NO NO NO) was in several scenes where she kissed a woman!! (OMG - Get the bible and the Beretta out of the kitchen cupboard junior) The gay haters in management must have decided right then and there to put he kibosh on the series.

Personally those scenes had the same effect on me as they did on Jayne - "I'll be in my bunk."

It was neat to watch Mal and Wash continue their argument over Zoe while being tortured with electricity. Of course it served the purpose of distracting them both from the pain they were under but it was a nice touch to continue their conflict under those circumstances.

I have seen the movie 'Serenity' but how great is it that I remember virtually none of it. I only half watched it the first time through.

I dig the way they break into another Chinese sounding language when they are angry. I need to learn a line or two for those moments when saying 'fuck' is not proper in mixed company.

It may be a space show but the weapons are decidedly low-tech. Sometimes you just can't improve on a lever action rifle for those up close and personal encounters.

Hell ya River. You are simply bad ass ("Don't look, Don't look.")

Great lines in this one with my favorite being from our beloved Captain Mal - "Haven't you killed me enough for one day?" or Zoe - "Take me Sir, take me hard."

5 comments:

Simon B said...

I must admit that the torture scenes stop me from watching this episode as much as the others - I'm getting squeamish in my old age! But the scenes when the Serenity crew bust Mal and Wash out of Niska's HQ are exciting as hell, and suitably revealing of their characters under stress.

Kal said...

I like how even Jayne knew it was the right thing to do. The genius of the show is that we totally believe that this crew would sacrifice everything to save their Captain. The relationships have been built up so well. I love this show but I am angry at the lose of what could have been a great franchise. Sure Nathan went on to do 'Castle' and Baldwin is on 'Chuck' - it's just not the same thing.

M. D. Jackson said...

Now, grasshopper, you begin to understand the sweet agony it is to be a Firefly fan.

csmith2884 said...

What M.D. said...oh and watch Serenity again after you finish Firefly you will see how it was a big budget thank you to the fans. Most of the same story just a lot better special effects. This show is missed, I watch the re-runs often.

Christopher

Kal said...

It is delicious agony, M.D. I would rather know this show and suffer than not to know it at all. I am actually getting antsy about only having 5 episodes and the movie left to see. I did download all the comic books too and that should help me ease into the post- Firefly stage of my life. I suppose I will always have Castle and my dreams of Nathan playing Green Lantern to hold me over but that is not the same. Did I tell you that the ship looks like a horsey?