Sunday, December 9, 2012

Argo

 
It's a strange sensation to see a fictionalized version of times I actually lived in. CNN was launched on the Iranian Hostage Crisis and no one missed Ted Koppel on Nightline. I watched the coverage and the interviews each and every night. I couldn't get enough. But in all that coverage I missed the best story of them all - the true story of the escape of the 6 Americans being held safe in the Canadian Ambassadors residences during the Iranian Hostage Crisis. It's the kind of stories the movies tell the best.


Like with all the best adventures, the more complex the idea that means the greatest chance of success. The CIA comes up with a plan to rescue them after several months of hiding out in Key Taylor's apartment. He was the Canadian Ambassador to Iran at the time and was instrumental in providing the Canadian passports the diplomats needed.

From there they needed a plan to get the hostages out of the country. It wouldn't be easy because in an Iran on the verge of exploding, nothing less than a perfect plan would work. Perfect but goofy.

I liked how no one immediately had the right idea about how to get their six diplomats out and only by the persistence and reasoning skills of an analyst played by Ben Affleck was he able to pull it off. He gave this story it's momentum while directing it with a confident hand.

The real enemy is the environment. These Americans are strangers in an strange land and have to use all their diplomatic, Hollywood and spy skills to pull it off.

 
John Goodman puts in another fantastic performance as a Hollywood special effects expert and movie wheeler dealer. He will be top of the Oscar nomination's list.

 
Fantastic soundtrack that doesn't overpower the film - just anchors us in certain points in time. Not necessary but acceptable.

I let out a girlish glee when the movie introduced me to Alan Arkin - more Oscar Bait. Watching the three of them describe their versions of the mission is delightful writing.

"If I'm doing a fake movie, it's gonna be a fake hit movie."

 
Fictionalized Hollywood using it's evils to do some good is an underrepresented genre of film. This is a fun and hits all the right pop culture notes. History doesn't have to be boring. I wanted to rewind many of the scenes to watch these actors perform at the top of their game.

As the plan comes together the tension is ratcheted up to near unbearable levels as we watch the insane Iranian bureaucracy in full on crazy mode.. I am sure the actually time was just as tense because at any moment the entire scam could fall apart.

And can we talk for a second about that Ben Affleck (who I always refer to as Hooflack) who directed this sure nominee for Best Picture. It has a nice clockwork design and knowing the ending in no way hurts one's enjoyment of the film. The question isn't WHAT happened but HOW it did.

Worth your time



4 comments:

Nick Ward said...

Couldn't agree more my friend.

Unknown said...

America even thanked us. Greyhound bus did a travel anywhere for one month for $99 to thank us Canadians. My 16 year old, older brother took advantage of this and did a rather terrifying trip to all the inner cities of the eastern half of the states. I don't think he told our Mom half of what he saw. I just remember him telling me that there were a lot of black people in the states. An eye-opening trip for sure at that age.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Glad you liked it, Cal. We did too!

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I've been wanting to see this movie for a while seeing as I'm a sucker for 20th Century History Lessons, throw in the workings of the Movin' Pitcher Business and a rising star director working with some great talents and I'm sold. Unfortunately I haven't been able to see it yet.

I'm not surprised this story isn't that familiar, as it was only declassified during the end of the Clinton Administration. I am curious if the film makes any reference to Jack Kirby, as from what I've read, his "Lord of Light" drawings were used as visual references for the "fake film".