Thursday, December 27, 2012

Return To Super-Folks

As a lover of comic books, this novel just jumped off the shelf at me when I bought it at 13. As I read it, and it's more dirty parts (like passages of superhero sex) I felt like I was getting away with something. The names of the heroes were changed to protect the innocent and avoid lawsuits but the archtypes are all there. I recently learned that there is some controversy involving Alan Moore and how many of the ideas that went into Watchmen came directly from this novel. Follow the links below to learn more.
 


In 1977, the reporter Robert Mayer wrote an odd novel named Superfolks. The novel was a heady mix: the story of a retired, middle-aged metahuman adventurer who comes out of retirement for one last battle amid a world that has passed him by. The novel contained references to many comic book heroes, prominent figures of the 1960's and 1970's, and much other spoof and satire. What is most peculiar about the novel is that many of its ideas were later picked up on by Alan Moore and other comic book writers.

http://www.angelfire.com/mn/blaklion/superfolks.html

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/10/26/alan-moore-superfolks-watchmen/

6 comments:

M. D. Jackson said...

I tried reading that book. I found it at my local library but, alas, at 14 I lost interest pretty quick. Perhaps I should give it another try. After 32 years I might have more patience for it.

Kal said...

I have it here right beside me and I thought the same thing you did. I remember parts of it but I need to re-read it to see if my tastes have changed from those days. We must be the same age.

M. D. Jackson said...

We are the same age. Physically we're both 46-47.

Mentally, though, we're still around 12, 13 or 14.

Kal said...

Don't say it like it's such a bad thing.

M. D. Jackson said...

Are you kidding? It's awesome! I wouldn't want to be any other way!

Hobgoblin238 said...

Never heard of the book...Interesting!