Saturday, December 22, 2012

The Rude Pundit Talks Gun Control


You own a weapon. You own a thing that is meant to kill people. Respect that. Respect that society has a stake in making sure that your mechanism of death isn’t used stupidly or criminally.

Statistically, you will never get the chance to be a hero. You will never stop a mass shooting. In fact, pretty much everyone who ever did stop one was a trained police or security officer or ex-military.

You might hate speed limits because you know you can drive fast safely. But all it takes is one person not as skilled as you believe you are to spin out and kill a whole bunch of us. If you speed a lot and get caught, you get your license taken away. All you gotta do is respect the speed limit, and you can drive as much as you want.


Gun laws exist not to deny you anything, but to protect the rest of us.

You can read the rest of The Rude Pundit's reasonable solution by going HERE.

 

6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Let's hope this latest tragedy is indeed the tipping point and saner heads will prevail than the NRA's nonsense.

Kal said...

I would love to see reasonable gun owners taking the NRA to task but they are afraid to compromise also. I never understood how people can buy all the NRA balloon juice but these are the same people who hate gay marriage, President Obama and have been conditioned to fear everything - thus the need for a gun.

Paladin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paladin said...

I don't have a desire to be a hero. Neither do any of the gun owners that I know personally.

I'm sure there are a few out there who feel differently. Likewise, there's people who dress up as super heros and walk the streets thinking to stop crime without any weapons at all. The sterotype of all gun owners as vigilantes is just that.

A stereotype.

You'll notice that I'm The "Reluctant" Paladin. I didn't pick that name out of a hat.

Hobgoblin238 said...

And I want a gun to protect myself. Again living in Mexico I READ NEWS of the Zetas coming into businesses and taking what they want. I do not want to be empty handed if it is ever tried here.

Kal said...

See, you live in a war zone. I can understand that. I would probably be The Punisher if I lived in a dangerous place. I just don't so I can preach my balloon juice. I have been shot at and still carry the metal inside my head. I hate guns even though I was raised shooting most everything that can fire a bullet, arrow or dart. Comes from having a soldier for a father.