Saturday, December 29, 2012

Charmed...I Was Totally Charmed

 
Set in Victorian England, the latest Doctor Who Christmas special was a lot of fun to watch. Even though he is still stinging from the loss of the Ponds we all knew that it would only take the right person to pull him out of his funk and this time that person was Clara played by Jenna Louise Coleman. She is radiant and brought enormous energy and spirit to the episode.
 


I waited a few days to watch this thinking that I would hate it after reading a number of less than stellar reviews. I wanted to love Clara and I do. Lord help me I love her so much. She could even become the equal of my adored Rose Tyler and that is something I never thought was possible.

 
I wanted to see more of these evil snowmen because they actually freaked me out. What a horrifying addition to winter in Canada they would be. If they were real I would carry a hockey stick with a sharpened blade with me everywhere I went.
 
 
For once the interior of the Tardis doesn't look like a hunk of junk. Finally the producers got my message and gave that baby an upgrade.


While Amy Pond was the 'girl who waited', Clara seems like the 'girl who waits for nobody'. She is brilliant and brave and curious and funny, the kind of girl I would follow through time. She also has enough mystery surrounding who she really is to keep me watching and entertained.

The only bad part of this episode is that I have to wait until April for at least some of my questions to be answered.

 

7 comments:

Dr. Theda said...

Tardis is too "clean" (no "clutter"..) And it has an 80's look

Kal said...

Well the 80s were cool...just like bowties.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Yeah, I think waiting may have been my problem with this episode. After all we did with River Song, the idea of a "mystery woman" bit doesn't seem all that interesting anymore.

As for the new Tardis interior, I think they're looking to harken back to the look of the 80s in honor of the show's 50th anniversary. This control room looks considerably smaller and colder with its metallic steel colors in comparison to the previous one so my initial reaction was that it felt like something of a downgrade.

Kal said...

Several people whose opinion I respect had your same attitude of this special. I think I liked it more because it wasn't as bad as everyone thought. But I came late to Doctor Who so I am easy to please. I liked the non-junky Tardis because, as you know, I am into clean design.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Cute homage cartoon!

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Speaking of cartoon homage!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU0kh1GG9Yw

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Then theres this Saturday morning cartoon begging to be made!

http://youtu.be/dmK3AQ2Yozk