Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Battle - Los Angeles


I went into this won with full knowledge of how many people didn't like it and found it more derivative of a Michael Bay film THAN a Michael Bay film. I have a special hatred for his brand of film making that I nurture deep down in the darkest pit of my soul because he has NEVER CHANGED. I can point to many of his films like 'Bad Boys' and the 'Transformer' movies as truly lost hours in my life (and I am not using 'lost' in the good way) but I can never deny how much sheer joy that 'Armageddon' gives me.

So, I watch Battle - Los Angeles.


First of all I HATE the shaky cam. I know it's suppose to put me directly into the action but I am NOT in the action. I am watching a movie with way too many quick cuts that takes me completely out of the action at times.

I like Aaron Eckhart a lot as an actor. He is perfect for any kind of 'authority' or 'leader' role. I just wish the script was up to his talents.

There are also so many coincidences in this movie that it's stopped me from ever believing in coincidence again. But for this kind of movie these convenient connections do move the story along and manipulate me into caring for the characters. Is that a good thing? Read on.

I did enjoy the time they took building the camaraderie between the soldiers in the unit we follow before putting them through hell. You all know my favorite cliche in film is the group of people who go on a dangerous mission where some if not most of them will not be coming home. I will forgive a lot if that concept is executed well.


The plot is simple. The squad we are following has been sent into Santa Monica to rescue of group of cut off civilians. They have three hours before the entire area is saturated with bombs from the air. The clock is ticking. Everything is zoom zoom zoom. I can't tell you how much I like a movie that keeps up with my brain.

Again, I wish they had accomplished that fact without all the shaky camera work and quick cuts. I am a victim of the MTV generation and unfortunately this is the way we process information. Maybe there are no other film techniques possible to create the kind of tension necessary in this kind of movie.


The creators make a good choice in keeping what the aliens look like from us until past the midway point. We share the unknown that the marines are walking into.

Once the soldiers get reduced to a smaller number we add civilians (including children) to our little group of survivors. This changes the dynamic completely. I had to tell myself a few times that the kids aren't really in any danger because it's only a movie. That shows how effective the creation of mood and circumstance were.

That leads me to mention the special effects which were fantastic. You would think from watching the trailer that they are overdone and would overshadow the story but the devastation all around the characters IS the story. It is every changing and only ramps up in intensity as the story moves on. At times, there are only seconds for the characters to react before something new and more deadly shows up. Cool.

All I ever ask of a movie is that it entertains me by keeping my attention and this one did that. It's nothing fresh or new but the familar story is something you will really enjoy on TV a couple of months from now.

Now a message to the extraterrestrials. THAT'S what you get for invading OUR planet you alien freaks.

As I always say, "This movie made me proud to be an American. Even though I am not one."

8/10

8 comments:

Mike D. said...

So whats the verdict Kal? Did you like it or not... whats the rating you bestow?

I saw it with my son this past weekend and we loved it. He was actually a bit freaked out by how much tension there was and the actual aliens... which is weird for Mikey. He is a season movie watching vet despite his young age of almost 8. He has already watched Alien, every Star Wars movie about a million times, and even the original Halloween (he picked it off the shelf).

Now before everyone starts lecturing me about my lack of parenting skills, know that I always let him watch whatever he wants as long as its with me. I expose my prodigy to all the good stuff... and if doesn't like it he will walk away. Thats what my dad did with me, and he create a true movie geek. Thats my hope for Mikey.

Sorry I got off on tangent, but what I was getting at was that both Mikey and loved the movie. I agree the cuts were a bit quick, but thats the nature of this type of movie. A good effort if you ask me. 8/10 from CCD.

PS- Armegeddon rocks!!!! Oh... and Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms!!! (Jay voice)

Kal said...

It sounds like you are raising your son to be a proper movie geek. My Dad did the same with me. He let me choose what I didn't like and what I did. I remember a time when movies were actually shown late night on TV before informercials. He would wake me when a 'classic' was on everytime it was on.

I gave it the same rating that you did. I enjoyed it also.

Armegeddon is the one movie that makes me believed that Michael Bay can be redeemed or we will be forced to put him down like a dog.

Also glad you are still reading me.

Budd said...

you are a North American, so you have that. High praise for this movie from most of my sources. of course, certain people would never go for this movie (but we know who they are).

DrGoat said...

I hate shakey cam and too many camera cuts too. I come from the generation of one camera angle for a whole scene, so I may hate it even more than you. That's what turned me off to Cloverfield, but watched it anyway because I love these kids of movies. Loved Armegeddon. Gonna see this one next week. Also thought Aliens was right up there too for a good alien action movie.

Mike D. said...

Haha.. I didn't see the 8/10 till just now... and for the record, I read you EVERYDAY!!! You are one of my favorite blogs... I just read you on my RSS Reader through my phone. This restricts me from commenting. It also updates constantly, so I know everytime you update. Trust me... I got my eye on you Cal!!! Hope you are doing well....

Kal said...

I am doing very well Mike. And I check out each new post you guys do over at CCD. You are a real going concern. I would love to hold parties to meet some of my followers/readers and get sexy models sign posters for me. That is really living the life my brother. I wrote to several nearby conventions and hope they wil get back to me soon so I too can start collecting all the swag. Do you know of a site that lists all the North American conventions so that I can contact some I may have missed? Keep doing the great things you do and remember my poor little blog out here in the tundra.

Mike D. said...

I will put together some contacts for you and shoot them over... all types of helpful people I have came across... You the man don't forget that!!!!!

Kal said...

Thanks buddy. I would sure appreciate those contacts. I would also appreciate any opinions you would have about my contact letters. I am glad you enjoy my stuff as much as I enjoy yours.