Monday, March 21, 2011

Darren Aronofsky Leaves "The Wolverine'


One of my favorite directors is Darren Aronofsky. He has a unique vision that he brought to some of my favorite films ('Requiem for a Dream', 'The Fountain'. 'The Wrestler' and 'Black Swan'. I was overjoyed to hear that he was the director chosen to film the sequel to 'Wolverine' called 'The Wolverine'.

Anyone who knows this character from the comics knows that the greatest Wolverine stories are the ones that take place in Japan. Just as the character was gaining fame in the comics, Chris Claremont and Frank Miller teamed up to tell THE quintessential Wolverine tale involving his Japanese love Mariko, her disapproving criminal father, the ninja assassins known as the Hand, protector and teamate Yukio, and mutant enforcer Silver Samurai. All that you need to know about Logan comes from that story.

Since Aronofsky's movie was set in Japan, we all assumed this story was the one that was going to be filmed. If you have read the mini-series you know how fantastic the combination of Aronofsky's visual style with cutting edge effects would have been.

The official reason for Aronofsky's departure from the project is that it appeared he would have to be in Japan, away from his family, for more than a year. This was not acceptable to the director. I assume that with the recent earthquake/tsunami/nuclear meltdown, the experience of filming in Japan seemed less and less appealing.

I am more mad at the produces of this film and the studio than I am at the director. In this day and age you can pretty much make anyplace look like Japan with computer effects. Send a second unit director over the sea to capture images if you need to but you do any and EVERYTHING to make the director feel comfortable with the movie's working conditions.

If he want's a re-write, you give him one. No way do you lose a guy whose singular and personal vision made 'Black Swan' an Oscar nominated film and it's star, Natalie Portman, an Oscar winner. That is worth tens of millions in box office to you and after the last 'Wolverine' movie, you owe all us fan boys out there the film we all DESERVE.


I also feel bad for Hugh Jackman. When he was first cast as the Canadian mutant we can all agree it was one of the best choices and performances ever brought to a comic book character in a live action film (next to Tobey McGuirre in Spider-Man).

This would have been Jackman's fifth movie as the character he made iconic and he deserved to go out on a high note. The character himself may be immortal but Jackman is not. I read over at 'Cultural Compulsive Disorder' that Hugh was packing away 6000 calories a day to build up the muscle on his 6'2 frame (so he could look a muscular 5'3 like Wolverine in the comics). You don't just crap on that kind of commitment by your star.

This clip is from the 'Wolverine' video game. There are times that I feel that character is overused in comics but I can't deny how cool he is when you see him in action. No wonder he is the most popular character in comic today and in the top five of all time.



So if you don't know much about the character and would like to I would recommend the following trade paperbacks which I am sure are at your local library and have been well read.

Origin by Jenkins/Kubert -(Origin of 'Logan' from childhood)


'Weapon X By Barry Winsor-Smith - (How he got his famous claws and unbreakable skeleton)


The Claremont/Miller Wolverine mini-series (Love and revenge in Japan)


'Old Man Logan' tale by Mark Millar - (Wolverine as one of the last heroes on Earth - with great Steven Niven art)

9 comments:

M. D. Jackson said...

The original Claremont/Miller four issue Wolverine mini series was one of the greatest comics ever made. I have them all in mint condition in comic book bags in a hermetically sealed airtight garage.

Kal said...

I have them also. There was a time in the eighties when he was only in ONE comic (X-men) and we all were hungry for anything more we could learn about the character. The mid-eighties were also the time when the companies found out they could make money with mini-series starting their favorite characters. It was the perfect synergy of story and distribution until all that got overdone. But for that brief moment it was great.

Mike D. said...

Kal, thanks for the shoutout!!! That column was written by one of CCD's newest contributors, Jedi Rob. I couldn't agree with you and him more. This movie will suffer due to Aronofsky leaving the film. Hopefully they will get someone good to step in. Either that or shoot the movie SOMEWHERE ELSE!!! I see why you would want to have shot it Japan, but not anymore (after the tragedy). Shoot it somewhere else. Like Canada (you guys gotta be good for something, right... lol!!!) Just kidding, I love you Canucks!!!

Kal said...

You should love us. We produce all the best mutants and keep the rest of North America from falling down the crapper. I wish more did their part like you boys are doing over at CCD Inc. You need to make your own action figures.

Sarah said...

Wolverine and Gambit are probably my two favorite X-men of all time.

LOVED this post, especially since I have a serious hard-on for Hugh.

But is he REALLY only 5'3"? I never would have guessed. Fine by me as long as he keeps those magnificent guns and man-chest.

Kal said...

I have a serious man crush on Hugh too. (Hey that rhymes). Song and dance man and mutant assassin. Doesn't get any better than that.

Mow said...

Wolvie's 5'3" in the comic books. Hugh is 6'2" tall. Caused a bit of concern among the purists at first.

Mike D. said...

Thanks Richard... I think that was a confusion in the article over on CCD...

Thanks for the praise brother Kal. You are a member of the CCD teams extended family, never forget that!!!

Canada got some great heroes, but some of the Alpha Flight's costumes were a bit sketchy. Puck kinda looked like the dude Tatu from Fantasy Island if Mr. Rourke was into some weird S&M shit, no?

Kal said...

I love being on the extended free lance staff for CCD. I should contribute an article or a repost ocassionally. You let me know anything you like. I would expect at least a patch or t-shirt so I can advertise my connection to your great site. I really think we can come together here for the benefit of all our followers.

Puck may have sucked with his hairy legs and carwheels but Gaurdian/Vindicator's costume is one of the all time great character designs. Do you know theat Alpha Flight number one mentions my home town of Red Deer. I was unbelievably stoked about that. Maybe I can do an Alpha Flight post.

I really want to be more apart of your site and have you guys part of mine. Honorary members to the board of directors of Cave of Cool Inc. I need to design a patch and tshirt design too.

This is us in the big time, right?