Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Quote Of The Day - Goethe


“Sentiments are what unites people, opinions what separates them. Sentiments are a simple bond that gathers us together; opinions represent the principle of variety that scatters. The friendships of youth are founded on the former, the cliques of old age are to be blamed on the latter. If we could only realize this early and arrive at a liberal view as regards others in cultivating our own attitude of mind, we could be more conciliatory and try to collect by the bond of sentiment what opinion has dispersed.” — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

6 comments:

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

I like everything about this post.
xoRobyn

Kal said...

Well you know being a Rennaisance man was my major in college.

Cruella Collett said...

This is such a confusing post. First the awww-factor, then the hmmm-factor, and finally the *gigglesnort*-factor. And as if that wasn't confusing enough, I keep looking for a deeper complexity to tie the three factors together, in which I start wonder if the twins in the first picture (are they twins?) are equal to the twins in the second picture (are they twins?), or if they possibly could be the reincarnation of them. Or vice versa. Is it a prediction? Will the above twins grow les moustaches? Will the lowers twins attire in animal costumes? And then I realize I've forgotten Goethe, and no one should ever forget Goethe.

I have no opinions, but my sentiments with regards to this post sure seem to separate me rather than unite me. (But then that was an opinion after all, wasn't it? I'm so confused!!! Awwhmm*gigglesnort*hmmhmmaww*gigglehmm*)

DrGoat said...

Cal, the breath of this post is galatic in proportion. I don't know where to start. The quote is wonderful, to be sure. Then there's the pics. Kinda reminds me of......well, I'm not sure. Let's leave it at that.

Kal said...

Yeh, you caught me. I tried to go all intellectual with this one on y'all. Friendship of youth, their simple bonding over their love of animal cosplay (sentiment). The older guys bonding over their opinion that ladies love the moustaches as much as they do - so much in fact that they nane their group after facial hair that we all can grow.

M. D. Jackson said...

That's a profound quote and quite true. People of varying opinions can be united by a simple sentiment.