Monday, February 27, 2012

Murder She Wrote? Murder She Committed Is More Likely

What is the Enterprise bridge crew watching today?


Even Magnum and his mighty moustache could not stop her killing spree. Did you ever notice how Jessica Fletcher just seems to show up at every murder in her small, small town with a convenient explanation as to how and why SOMEONE ELSE did the deed? It doesn't pass the smell test. Why do I always feel like they put Chef Wiggam in charge of ever investigation on that show?

Murder She Wrote was one of those shows that took my mother nearly the full hour to figure out. Me and my father had the whole thing figured out in the first ten minutes and mocked the program relentlessly after that.

How couldn't we? It made the A-Team look smart by comparison.

Nothing my father and I loved to do more together than watch detective shows and movies. He was always finding these 'two minute mystery' books to give me. He also knew very early on that I was a fan of Batman as much for his role as a detective than a costumed superhero.

We always talked about solving crimes and forensics long before C.S.I. premiered. As you could guess, our collective heads exploded when that show began.

My mother still watches the old 'Murder She Wrote' reruns but can't remember who the bad guys are so it's fresh and new to her. I try to resist the temptation to walk by and say "He did it." and ruin her viewing experience out of spite for Angela Landsbury.

"Murder, She Wrote" Drinking Game

Rules:

Drink when:
•Jessica says “Tonight, on “Murder, She Wrote”…”
•Jessica says “Oh, I’m afraid this was no accident. It was murder.”
•Jessica is seen jogging or riding her bike
•Jessica is the victim of a mugging (Take an extra drink if it’s successful)
•Someone breaks into Jessica’s hotel room
•The murder is first thought to be a suicide
•Jessica’s neice or nephew is implicated in the murder
•Jessica goes out in a disguise or fakes an accent
•The acting detective tells her to mind her own business
•Someone faints or screams
•You see someone you recognize from another show
•Jessica is held at gun or knife-point
•Jessica reschedules her plane or bus ticket
•The murder weapon is something completely outlandish
•Sheriff Tupper and Doc Hazlitt disagree
•One of Jessica’s old friends is killed
•Someone is poisoned or drowned
•Somebody recognizes Jessica as J.B. Fletcher
•Jessica is staying with a ridiculously weathly/famous friend

Finish your drink when:
•The motive of the murder involves inheritance or an affair
•The still frame at the end involves a hug
•There are multiple killers
•A seemingly harmless character is the killer

6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

It's true, the plots are simple and transparent. But my Mom always found that show interesting too when it was first broadcast. Now we watch the syndicated reruns together in the nursing home and the plot is too complex for her to follow. But we both pretend that she's on top of it.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

What is it with Murder She Wrote, Matlock and old people. I think it's how they secretly send messages to each other.

Wings1295 said...

Well, I've liked Murder, She Wrote from the beginning, still do, even read the books. Not rocket science, but it doesn't need to be. It is entertainment.

Wings1295 said...

And I wish they would make more!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

But this time starring Sharon Stone, right?

I love the way you always tell me what you think without caring about offending me, my brother.

Wings1295 said...

Always with Angela Lansbury.

And I don't worry about offending you because you know, as do I, that we all have our own opinions, like and dislikes. That's what makes the ride on this big blue ball interesting!