Monday, February 27, 2012

Luck (HBO)



Just as thrilling as 'Boardwalk Empire' for me. What a gift this show is. We live in a golden age my friends. It's the best thing Dustin Hoffman has done since 'Rainman'.

His character, Ace, scares the hell out of me. He's the smartest guy in the room and constantly taking the measure of everyone around him. He has no patience for anyone who tries to feed him a lie. Even the tiniest misdirection is met with a fury that I would hate to see manifest itself into action. It would all be over in seconds if he allowed that to occur. His own fear of that happening is the only thing this man is terrified of.

Denis Farina plays a character who is not book smart but street smart. For the first time in a long time he is forced to see the long game, not react to everything happening around him. Play a role, play the fool but believe in Ace because Ace has this whole thing figured out to the last detail. After all, Ace has had three years in jail to plan his revenge. I always say that if you are going to do revenge, do it right, do it permanently or don't do it at all.

Only a Jason Geddrick could bring nobility to his role as a degenerate gambler. He is the best of Rob Lowe, Richard Grieco and Johnny Depp all rolled into one.

The whole enterprise is a showcase for the great character actors of our day. These are faces you have seen a thousand times before on all your favorite shows only here they have created characters that are fresh and new and unlike anyone they have played before. As a TV fan, you can't ask for more than that.

You know how much I hate to see horses in jeopardy and this one started off with a horse breaking his leg during a race. That would usually be enough to keep me from coming back but in this case I will risk it.

10/10

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That opening theme sequence is heavy with foreboding. Reminds me of the Sopranos theme that way. I'll have to wait until this is on NetFlix to watch it, but thanks for the recommendation!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

It's will be better to watch the whole first season at one time. I usually like my TV that way. I got caught up in this one though and it's only episode five that's been on so far.

This will be a good watch in the summer.