Thursday, January 24, 2013

The LAST Movie I Want To See This Week

 
A Rob Liefeld written movie (not a documentary mind you) about the time when he and several other comic book artists broke away from Marvel and started Image Comics. At the time it caused a sensation but the hype hardly held up over time. Looking back, that time in comics is one of the dark chapters in the history of the medium. The desire to make quick money lead to the speculators who almost destroyed the entire comic book industry by the late 90s.



The LAST thing I need to see this week is someone trying to rewrite his own participation in the debacle that Image Comics at the beginning. Liefeld lasted as long with Image as he did with Marvel, DC or even his own Awesome imprint.

His art hasn't improved over the 35 years or so that I have been following his career. After his recent 'troubles' with DC Comics Rob has moved on again but not quietly. This time he has returned with a screen play that he spent all of three days to finish. Reminds me of the rushed nature of his artwork. The HUBRIS on this numnut.


Liefeld believes that the legacy of Image Comics is one that needs to be told as a feature-length biopic, acknowledging the comic creators that risked everything to make their collective ambition a reality. Liefeld completed the screenplay for the film, called Icons, in just three days, and he’s cobbled together a wishlist of potential actors to portray some of the comic industry’s greatest. For the role of Liefeld, the man himself has chosen Chris Pine — as in the current Captain Kirk — for the honor.

For those of you who think I am way too harsh on young Rob, well you can see why he is such a crappy artist by clinking the links below. Each set describes the deficiencies better than I ever could.

 

 

7 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Hey if writing keeps him away from the drawing board, I'm all for it.

As far as a biopic, he seems to think this is going to be the rise of a boy genius like the upcoming Steve Jobs film "jOBS", when really I can't imagine anything other than "Ed Wood".

Mike D. said...

I hate Liefeld as much as you, but boy do I think you are off the mark on Image as a company. The Savage Dragon was and is one of the best series I have ever read, and Erik Larsen may be one of the most approachable and friendliest guys in comics. I also loved Spawn (even though Mcfarlane is a douche), Wild Cats and ShadowHawk. The Maxx was the shit as well. And lets not forget....

... the creator owned model of Image comics led to some of the greatest comics out right now, from Invinceable, The Walking dead, Chew, etc. I am thankful for those guys (Lee, Larsen, Lifield, McFarlane, Etc) breaking away and showing there was more than just Marvel & DC

Mike D. said...

whew...for a moment there I thought you were addressing me...then I realized that's your name.

If Rob ever gets this movie made...it obviously should not be all about him

Kal said...

You are right might. There are many image comics that are good like Walking Dead, Invincible, Savage Dragon is another Cerebus. Image also keeps Dark Horse strong by making room for quality from a smaller publishing house. I like the Valiant properties too. Lots of talented people and still we have to deal with this numnut Liefeld.

Kelly Sedinger said...

The vibe I'm getting is that as awful as Liefeld is as an artist, he's...well, not that bad as a producer (or whatever the comics equivalent of a movie producer is). Huh!

Kal said...

No, he would be bad as a producer. I like to think of comic books as little movies and if a person can't even created believable story boards, he can't imagine a finished movie in his head.

Mike D. said...

Which is a correct assumation