Saturday, January 26, 2013

Young Justice Collect and Connect Hall of Justice And Why I Hate The 'Build-A-Figure' Movement

 
I understand that this display piece took a long time to collect. The necessary parts were spread over three lines of Young Justice figures and you had to buy figures you may not have wanted to get the entire Hall of Justice false front.

There are 16 pieces which are packaged with 12 different single carded figures. The figures were spread across 3 waves. It took around 10 months just to complete this set. The last wave of figures, which is the third wave, was particularly hard to get. Of all the BAF and CnC series, I rate this the toughest and most frustrating to complete.
 


 
Personally I hate buying figures that have a part of another, larger figure included in the package. I would have loved to have the Galactus or Giant Man or Arnim Zola which were part of the 'build-a-figure' movement with the early Marvel Legends line but it was hard to find all the pieces. Why not just sell the 'build' figures as extras to the line or allow people to earn points that could be redeemed for the complete figure at a later date. Either way I would have some hope that eventually I could enjoy Arnim Zola in my collection.


 
As you can imagine, these 'build-a-figure' figures are more expensive to buy on Ebay because someone had to purchase or find all the part in order to have a complete piece for sale. Usually I wouldn't care but in this case the 'build a figure' route is the ONLY way to get an Arnim Zola figure.
 
 
I always liked his look - pure Kirby design where the guy has moved his brain to his chest because he thinks it will be better protected than in his skull. Now that is the kind of crazy you want in an evil geneticist.
 
 
The bottom one with the special Red Skull face goes for 90 dollars on Ebay!!! That is outrageous and makes me so mad that I wish I would have thought to break into Toys R Us when the parts for Zola were being sold with the other figures. I would have ripped opened the boxes taking only the build a figure parts and left police to wonder at the true nature of my madness.
 

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah I hate build a figures too. They can be such a pain so I try to avoid anything to do with them but I would love a Zola however just such a cool character to me.

Hobgoblin238 said...

I don't think I have covered this on Controversial Thursday but you did it better than I could have done.

Kal said...

I just noticed that my Hope figure has the axe to build a Terrax figure and remember the last build a figure was Zola. I couldn't believe how much he costs as a loose figure on Ebay. Almost 100 dollars with shipping.

Big J said...

Build a figures/build a player thing sucks hard! I got into Bandai's Teen Titans, and Star Trek's movie bridge scheme, in both cases the company decided to cancel key elements leaving me with 2/3rds of a Titans tower, and half an enterprise bridge! No amount of Ebay will fix this. seriously screw build a fig. Only one I ever got to work was a kilowog!

Kal said...

I wouldn't care so much if they didn't produce figures I want like Galactus or Zola. Hit Monkey was the latest one...come on...HIT MONKEY is suppose to excite me. BLEH!

Jordan said...

Okay, admittedly, I don't have to deal with this stuff personally (not being a collector), but it seems to me that there's no way around what they're trying to do. I mean, I used to collect comics, and of course the most valuable and sought-after stuff is the stuff that's most difficult to get a hold of (because of contrivances created for that purpose). Like getting all the variant covers of a particular issue, or putting together a mosaic image comprised of Fleer cards that come in a dozen obscure titles on the same month...yeah, it's difficult! That's the point. If you ran the company you'd do the same thing. Not just to make the money, but because everyone loves a scavenger hunt.

Kal said...

Well I would like to see a place where I could get a single missing piece through Marvel intstead of paying double for the figure I don't want just to get the body part I need. It's just frustrating when I see a figure like Zola.

Jordan said...

Understood. Remember those original Star Wars bubble gum cards? There were like three consecutive series (blue, red and then yellow, I think) and there were always a couple of sixth grade smartasses with bottomless allowances who'd managed to accumulate the whole damn thing...they would come into school brandishing this two-inch-thick block of blue cards and be all, This is the whole series (and the rest of us would drool). Wacky Packs, same thing.

Jordan said...

And I remember that the comic book store down the block (with a classic Simpson's "Comic Book Guy" proprietor) had a few complete sets of the cards in their glass display cases.

Dr. Theda said...

The Brood Queen is the one of the "piece by piece" figures that I wanted.... $70.00 or more on E-bay

Michael Lynn P. said...

Yeah BAF stuff is really annoying. I'm just glad they haven't done many female figures in that way. I really wanted the Garganta baf from awhile back, but it is super expensive to purchase.

I also didn't even realize that there was a Hall of Justice baf set. But I am usually very behind on DC stuff.

david_b said...

I drove into the Legends line pretty hard last year, especially the Avengers figs (didn't care for the FF sculpts as much...). I'm still eyeing that Skull Zola figure, I don't give too many shakes about spending the extra $$ for complete figures on eBay.

I plucked down a hundred for my Giantman last year and he's STILL frickin' awesome, had to complete my Pym Legends and Universe collection. LOVE the individual finger articulation. Whenever the neighbors make racket, he uses his middle finger quite effectively.

I'm still dreaming about an AIM soldier, Swordsman, and other figs but haven't saved the money for customs yet.

Yep, still eyeing that Red Skull Zola.